Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I being a paranoid panicky puss?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SeaThreePeeO, Jul 13, 2009.

1. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Charlie will be 20 weeks old (I guess that makes him 5 months) this coming Wednesday.

He and Lola have been enjoying our back garden for a fair few weeks now with no major problems. However this morning Charlie climbed the wooden fence between us and our neighbours house and sat at the top. I called him for his lunch, but he became stuck and I had to help him down.

I have now shut the doors and I am keeping the cats in. It's raining at the moment so they're not missing much.

I am not worried about Charlie in regards to road safety as we live in a very quiet residential area. I am worried about him becoming lost, not being able to get back over the fence if he decides on going over for an explore, someone taking a shine to him and taking him or Charlie deciding he has found a better home elsewhere.

Am I right to keep him in and be concerned or am I panicking over nothing. I don't remember half this worry with Thomas when he started going out. He must have been around the same age as Charlie. But Charlie seems so small. Maybe that's because I am comparing him against Thomas as he is now. Thomas must have been that small at some point, surely.

Help! I'm turning into a smothering paranoid cat owner!

2. SeaThreePeeO

Anyone? Am I clearly being neurotic? I don't worry this much about my own children! :D

3. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Sorry I don't have any experience with outdoor cats, mine are both house cats.

Someone will come along with more info than me, but reading other threads it seems like you have to just go for it and hope for the best.

I am not a fan of letting cats out on their own, maybe you could keep him as a house cat? It will be much safer and less worrying for you.

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  4. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Its good to be worried but dont let that hold you back in letting him out..My cat goes out but she never goes far..but when i do call her sometimes she isnt around where she can hear me...but if i keep calling long enough shes there.

Iv also but 2 bells on her collar so i can hear where she is..:D

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Not being paranoid no! I think we all feel that way when they are first allowed out, I panicked no end! lol They are still little and I think we are more scared than they actually are!

They will come home though as long as they have had time to get used to going in the garden and finding their way back :)

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  6. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Sorry but I can't help laughing at the first bit:smilewinkgrin:,but I'm sure it will be just fine.

7. SeaThreePeeO

Thank you everyone for your advice and in put.

I guess its natural to worry as to be Charlie is still a baby, but to himself he must be a hip and happening tom cat about town.

My mother (who is a cat person but not an 'animal' person if you know what I mean) keeps saying leave him be he knows where his food is so he will come back.

But he's my baby!

I shall have a go at cutting the apron strings tomorrow as I shall be home all day.

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Good luck and take a deep breath! :)

9. shell195

shell195 PetForums Junior

If hes not neutered already then get him done asap as this will curb his wander lust

10. gaia227

gaia227 PetForums Newbie

I don't think you are being panicky at all. Letting your kitties out exposes them to all kinds of risks and some risks you don't even consider - like the little guy getting stuck. Are there any dogs, coyotes or big birds like Eagles and Hawks where you live? I would also be worried about other people. A few months ago a friend's cat was poisoned by her neighbor for no reason other than he came into her backyard and she didn't like him. She was shocked because this woman had always been very nice to her and then she poisons her cat. Also, like you said, someone might see him and decide they want him.

I would not let him out until you get him neutered because he will stray. Un-neutered male cats want to claim their territory and of course they will stray to look for a mate.

I don't mean to make you more paranoid but studies have shown that outdoor cats have a life expectancy of 5 yrs or less as compared to indoor cats who can live up to 20 yrs.

All my cats I have now are strictly indoor because growing up there were just too many incidents. My mom was (still is) a very conscientious cat owner and kept close eye on the cats when they went out but accidents happen. Our 21 yrs old cat was killed on our front porch by two dogs who had gotten lose. One of our cats got into a fight with another and contracted Feline Leukemia eventhough he was vaccinated for it. 2 others went outside and never came back and after extensive searches, signs, etc we never found out what happened.

She trained her Siamese cat to walk on a leash and she takes him out for walks. With you guy still being a kitten you might be able to leash train him.
    She too has a fenced in yard and she lets her cat out on a long leash so he still has room to explore but can't go too far and so far it has worked out great.

Her other Siamese, who has since passed away, went outside but we always went out too and supervised her for an hour or so.

I understand why you want them to be able to go outside and I think if you let your cats then you should be a little paranoid. It is a big world out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice