Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I being a bad dog mom?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by itsjustkatie, Jan 23, 2020.

1. itsjustkatie

itsjustkatie PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Ive had my 9 month old jug male named Hudson for just over a week now. We got him from a shelter and he was only there for 2 nights but we have no other history on him. He’s such a good dog in the sense that he doesn’t pee or poop in the house and I’ve managed to train him to sit and stay. He is a really bad nipper and loves to hump my arm and I am trying to crate train him as at some point I will be returning to work part time and do not want to leave him unattended in my apartment to roam the house as he pleases. Any tips on crate training and how to stop the biting? The humping I understand can be stopped to a certain extent but I do appreciate that this behaviour will continue unless he is neutered. Help I feel like a really bad dog mom right now!

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

What have you tried so far (for the biting - which you would be wise to stop - and for crate training?)
    I'll add that, he's really not had time to settle down, so while training is good, he really need s a bit of time to settle in - especially before you try and introduce him to a crate (unlss he goes in very happily which might suggest he's used to it?) It's also not fair (in my view) to leave a dog in a crate for extended periods.
    It's best to stop the humping as well as it may just become pleasurable to him in which case he may continue it - neutered or not (opinion is divided on why dogs do hump and it can result from a variety of things; neutering does not necessarily stop it.)

3. Billbailey

Billbailey Banned

I don't think the humping is sexual so won't be cured by neutering. I imagine the poor boy is all over the place emotionally at the moment. From whatever bad situation he was in to the rescue to you in less than a week. So it will take some time to build a bond. Especially as you don't know what's happened to him before you had him.

I think it's going to take a lot of patience and kindness for a while yet to get him to calm down and trust that he's staying with you.
    As for the nipping, is he doing it when you go to stroke him? He should now have finished teething but if he's never been trained to not bite, it's a pattern of behaviour he's gotten into.

Have a look at these links, there's lots of advice on there: https://www.google.com/search?q=whe....69i57j0l7.10301j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And no, you aren't being a bad dog-mom. It will just take patience.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Actually no, humping is seldom to do with sexual behaviour. In fact, it is sometimes due to non-sexual excitement or anxiety, if anxiety is a cause then neutering could make him worse by taking away his brave testosterone.

For nipping, some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

For the crate, this advice is based on Emma Judson's guide. And the key is that he must never, ever feel trapped. Feed him in there with the door open, toss treats in with the door open, have a cosy bed in there with the door open. You want him to think that the crate is awesome and start to go in, or stay in, of his own accord. Start giving him treats from through the bars, delaying a little each time and therefore extending how long he is in the crate waiting. Still with the door open. Use things like Kongs for him to enjoy, but then you can wander about (but out of the room yet) while he is having that. What you want to see is him choosing to stay in the crate. Ideally by now he will be choosing to spend time in there without you asking or rewarding. Once he is doing that, step out of the room and back. Gradually extend the time you are away. If you go back and he is still in the crate (and not just once, you want it to be clearly where he is choosing to be) you can move to the next step - closing the door. But do it gently and feed treats through the bars. If he looks at the door or moves towards it, open it for him - don't make him have to do it himself. If he chooses to still stay in the crate, great. Practice this until he is clearly happy to be in the crate with the door open or closed, with you treating, not treating, in the room or out of the room. Once you are convinced he is ok, door open or shut, you present or not, you can latch the door. He should never have tried to get out of the crate when the door has been shut (because you will have opened it for him) so he shouldn't try now. If he does, go back a few steps. Build up time slowly, while you potter about around the house.

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice