Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I a hoarder?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Deleted member 1486988, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I keep thinking about this and the more I think about it the more concerned I become.

We cannot here tell that it's not hoarding. If OP is looking for validation/confirmation that everything is ok then we cannot provide it. That's something several people have brushed on a few times, particularly @lorilu and @Rufus15. Something obviously prompted OP to create this thread and all I can think of is either self doubt, or someone else suggesting it to OP. Something has triggered this, maybe it's just a passing comment or maybe it's a justified concern. No amount of descriptions of what seems to be good care for the animals can give certainty, after all a hoarder isn't going to say any different.

I've also thought about the financial aspect of it. Making some basic but reasonable assumptions - £10 per cat for insurance. £1 per day per pet for food. That totals £40 per pet per month. There will also be cat litter and various other costs. Even at £40 per pet that's £1,120 per month and that's before insurance excesses and various other out of pocket expenses. If it's higher quality food then it's more expensive, if there's pre-existing conditions it's more expensive.

That's a very large amount of money for someone to commit to on a monthly basis. OP works 9-.2.30 6 days a week which is not quite a full time job. It obviously depends on the job how much money is coming in but I'm now having very considerable doubts about what OP has said being sustainable and I now feel it's a hoarding disaster waiting to happen.

So if OP isn't already hoarding (we can't tell) then it's on a precipice and it will turn to hoarding if there's a wobble.

I also think there's information missing here as well.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I'm glad our friendship is back on again! :D

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

deleted (double post)

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Okay, I see the distinction.

As for your friend, I've already formed my opinion based on your descriptions and see no reason to change it. I do not believe it is possible for one person to give adequate attention and care to 36 cats, or even half that many, especially with all the activities you said she was involved in.

TriTri and MissMiloKitty like this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

That's your opinion, we'll agree to disagree :)

6. 4 stray cats and 4 pregnant stray cats showed up over the years that I took in and I was originally planning on finding the kittens good homes but I wanted to keep them until they were spayed and neutered to make sure they weren’t just out there breeding and breeding. I did find homes for about half of the kittens (originally the mama cats had litters of 6,7,7 and a whopping 10 kittens). I was kind of stuck with the leftovers lol. But I do love each and every one. They all have names.
    Most of the cats get on really well and sleep in piles together lol (bar 4 grumpy old cats that have claimed certain spaces for themselves and chill enjoying their own company) so I don’t think they are stressed
    When I said they get dry food twice a day I meant that I pick up the bowls and set fresh food in fresh bowls out. All of the food bowls get washed in the dishwasher after every use immediately as I find they smell and don’t like them having dirty bowls.
    None of my friends or family can get a smell from my house or think it’s dirty. I mop and Hoover the floor every day as it’s high traffic.
    I can generally tell when they aren’t well. One of my cats (Rupert) has a tendency to get crystals in his urine so he’s on a special diet in one of those bowls that only opens for his microchip. And I can tell when he needs to go to the vet as he will meow loudly and constantly scrape at the litter trays (and paw at other things like the back door) as soon as I see the signs he’s taken to the vet straight away. But other than that, one of my dogs having a sensitive tummy, another dog who gets ear infections once or twice a year (thanks to her long floppy ears) and having a couple of older cats on pain meds for arthritis they are all healthy and each year when I take them in for vaccines they are given a clean bill of health.
    I’m absolutely not getting any more, in fact I’ve actually found 2 more pregnant strays that I had to give to a shelter (which I hated doing but there is just no way any more can stay with me)
    My dogs even come to work with me as we have a dog friendly office

7. To be honest I would never have a pet without insuring them, the cover I have means I pay up to €100 euros per complaint (excluding vaccines and spaying/neutering) and anything after that is covered for the entire life of the pet.
    For example one of my previous dogs had to have surgery on this cruciate ligament (twice) and I payed €100 euros in total for taking him to the original diagnostic appointment, pain meds, a follow up appointment, more pain meds, x-rays, surgery, even more pain meds, and post operation appointments. (Twice lol)
    More examples are one of my dogs suffering with ear infections (twice a year usually, maybe 3 times if it’s bad), one of my cats gets urinary crystals and any meds, or appointments they need since it’s all related is covered by their insurance.
    It’s also peace of mind for emergencies. I don’t ever have to worry about having to make a life and death decision for my pets based on whether or not I can afford it. One of my dogs ate a massive rock ( presumably at the beach) and he had to have emergency surgery. With the out of hours vet visits (3 of them for 3 consecutive days as the first it was thought he had a virus, the second the vet couldn’t feel anything in his stomach (even though I was convinced he ate something as he has before and passed them himself) and wouldn’t do an X-ray till the next morning as it was 3 something in the morning on a Saturday. And the third the next day, Sunday for x-rays and surgery.) he even stayed for observation for 2 days. I paid €100 and the insurance company covered the remaining nearly €6000 without any fuss.

8. I only have small dogs right now. I used to have huge dogs (who have sadly passed now) and man their poops were huge.
    I have a large garden and most of the fur babies seem to go in the same area (in a bark covered flower bed/ tree forresty area) so that’s all I really need to do. If they went all over the grass I would pick it up more but I think I’ve just been lucky where they all like to go. Even my past dogs and cats have gone there so that area must have a shitty vibe to it ;)

9. All the animals are different ages. Some are relatively young some are middle aged and some are old. One dog is ancient at the age of 17 (Chihuahua x Yorkie rescue).
    I really enjoy spending my time with the animals and am a real home bird. Although I do go away for a week in the summer on holidays with the boyfriend, one of my brothers always moves into the house to take care of it/ the animals.

10. Quartermass

Ok, you do seem to have all the answers. And you do seem to be doing it out of compassion. However I still feel it's too much for one person and you should see about finding homes for animals where you can, and avoid taking any more on.

I don't want to seem mean, or cruel, but I also don't want to enable you doing something that I fear could end up being bad for the animals in the long run.

So I feel that I can't endorse what you're doing - but equally I can't pass judgement either.

That aside though threads about cats on here always go down much, much better with pictures! :)

kimthecat and TriTri like this.
  11. I don’t really want to get into income and finances or sound like I’m boasting or bragging but I inherited almost a ridiculous amount of money if I’m being brutally honest. I technically don’t need to work at all but enjoy my job thoroughly.
    Financially if I had, let’s say three kids I don’t think they would even have to work. Obviously that’s no way to raise anyone though. I like to be productive and I went to college for a reason, not to it on my butt all day and do nothing.
    Sorry if this comes across misconstrued or full of myself. It’s just hard to phrase via text. I can upload a few pictures of my house and pets in a few hours for anyone interested in how the house looks

TriTri likes this.
  12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would say that having such a number of animals may be manageable whilst they are young/youngish and relatively healthy.

However, old age in any animal changes the picture dramatically. It can become a time of much supervision/medication/Veterinary treatment/expense being necessary.

What when they all age?

13. Quartermass

Not interested in the financial side of things. I'm in a comfortable position myself but I don't think anyone wants to talk about money here.

I don't think you should post pictures of your house for judgement etc I think that's going too far.

However pictures of your cats (and the rest) I'm sure would go down well - but just because everybody here loves cats!

kimthecat likes this.
  14. Sorry for bringing money into it but I kind of feel like I needed to explain when you worked out the food bill as it is a bit shocking lol

ewelsh likes this.
  15. CACA9E81-77F5-4C92-8F59-43F3CF24F4B5.png E5B90C82-78FC-40F4-A5A5-2717D10B580E.png B55B6FA4-811E-46D1-8152-3152CF64444E.png B55B6FA4-811E-46D1-8152-3152CF64444E.png 1B99DC14-AFC0-48DD-8C74-F334B7581D2D.png 2DC4A082-DAA1-4BBE-8905-52CED5312219.png 95EFE329-877B-416D-AE30-D6CF22913B7C.png 0A6552EE-552B-4280-9176-0D4520AE9260.png 408BDA87-305B-4807-8FCD-8B52F56932E6.png B6E2DE20-B5FC-4D87-A607-99DB5271B1CD.png B6E2DE20-B5FC-4D87-A607-99DB5271B1CD.png E9365321-A873-4C11-B504-28764DA9AAF0.png
    Just for everyone’s enjoyment here are a few pics of some of the past and present pets
    A lot of the cats are grey tabbies
    I currently have 3 pugs and have previously owned and showed 4 Weimaraners, hence the many photos of pugs, Weims and grey cats that all look the goddamn same ;)

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I suspected you might have a private income; I couldn't see how you could manage it all otherwise. :) It does make a difference, it means you have a financial safety net. So if you should ever need practical help with the daily care of your pets you're in the fortunate position of being able to afford to recruit suitable helpers and pay them. It also means you can afford pet insurance for all your pets and are able to pay any excess.

You sound like a sensible person, and I hope you would have the wisdom to ask for help as soon as/if you needed it. A problem arises when people with a lot of pets start to struggle to cope with them all, and are too embarrassed to ask for help.

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Great photos of your cats and dogs @Sammisage! :)

sandy-cat and Quartermass like this.
  18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

An animal hoarder is someone who collects animals without considering the responsibilities involved.
    I've seen documentaries on animal hoarders and they have more animals than they can care for.
    28 cats would cost a lot of money, time and space.

19. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

I've been following this thread to see how it turned out.

My personal opinion, given your replies, is that no you are not a hoarder. You have financial stability, you care for your animals and their individual needs and you offer them the space and affection they require. A hoarder would do none of this.

Given the amount of animals I have, I've had passing comments myself...
    The second you mention you own 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 fish tanks, 6 leopard geckos, countless mourning geckos(all female species, physically cannot stop them breeding), 7 tarantulas, 4 chinchillas and 16 snakes- People make a snap judgement based on the sheer number.. A total of 36 countable animals, the mourning geckos and tanks excluded for obvious reasons, usually gets people's backs up understandably given how common hoarding actually is.

I understand you probably started this thread because someone made a comment, I've been there, questioned myself because of comments made, but I know my animals are well kept, well cared for, their needs are sorted and should they need vet care, you bet they get it.

ewelsh, Rufus15, Summercat and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice