Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Am I a convert, or is it a one off?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lorilu, May 16, 2020.

1. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yesterday my realtor had to bring me some papers to sign to facilitate my house purchase. (I am on some icky pain drugs at the moment so can't drive anywhere) Before she came she e mailed me and asked me if I wanted some home made banana walnut bread. I am not, have never been, a fan of banana bread. Just the thought of it makes me shudder. Usually. (and I normally don't like nuts in anything. I like nuts, as nuts, and eat a lot of nuts, but not IN things)

But the darn pain meds have been making me crave cake of all things, so I thought oh why not and graciously said "that sounds yummy, thanks!"

Well I took my first piece with my next 'cocktail' of drugs (since the anti inflammatory portion have to be taken with food) and I found the banana nut bread absolutely delicious. It wasn't too banana-y at all. And in fact, every time I take another slice (I am trying to limit it to using it just for taking the meds every 8 hours) it tastes better than the last.

So..what's going on here? Is it the drugs? Is it just THIS particular banana bread? Or am I going to turn into a banana bread fiend? :D

kimthecat, kittih, Calvine and 8 others like this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think sometimes our tastes change but we’re hung up on our dislikes from before.

I love Almonds but have hated anything Almond flavoured and/or made with ground Almonds such as marzipan, Bakewell Tart since a child.

However, when there was some Bakewell Tart and custard left over from the Pensioners’ lunch I’d prepared a couple of years ago I had a piggy moment and ate it anyway ..... it was yummy! :D

Calvine, Kakite and lorilu like this.
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

There is only one answer, you'll have to get more of this banana walnut bread and try it again, for scientific purposes of course ;)

Could be the meds have done weird things with your tastebuds or this lady makes very good banana bread, or/and walnuts make banana taste nicer.

lorilu, margy, Kakite and 2 others like this.
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

A few years ago when I was on medication after an operation everything I ate tasted strongly of garlic, even sweet things! Most peculiar!

kimthecat, lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

OH couldn’t stand Fruit Squash of any kind, preferring plain, fresh water.

Since chemo he can’t drink water without squash in it.

lorilu likes this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Funny how it goes. I love a nice cup of tea, but about halfway through the radiotherapy course I suddenly couldn't bear the thought of tea and haven't drunk any since. Last time that happened I was pregnant.;)

7. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Are you moving house?
    Just give in @lorilu :Hungry have your cake and eat it.
    Here’s some banana and walnut loaf I made earlier :Hungry:Hungry
    3095ADBC-1898-4716-8B2A-8703E8D2A411.jpeg 3D80AC50-7FBC-439D-A1BC-7306D4AFA973.jpeg

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You sure there wasnt some 'special' secret ingredient??:Wideyed:D

TBF though people have been spending alot of this lockdown perfecting their banana bread, maybe this person just achieved maximum tastiness!

9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The tiniest pinch of catnip or some crumbled freeze dried maybe?:D

DanWalkersmum, TriTri and lorilu like this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Soon! I got the "cleared to close" notice late Friday afternoon. I should have a closing date Monday, so I am thinking by Friday next week the house will be mine . (well, mostly the bank's haha). I am so excited and so scared I don't know whether to cheer, cry or throw up.

I worry about the cats, especially Mazy cat at 16, but Queen Eva too.. What can it be like for cats who have lived their whole lives in one place, to suddenly find themselves somewhere else? (I do talk to them abut it every day now)

Strangely, or maybe not so strange, the little wrecky house I have bought has a layout remarkably similar to what I have now..just a bit opposite. Will that confuse them or make it easier for them?

I try not to worry about it, because it is happening. I've been house hunting for over 2 years, and then this place showed up and I knew, before I even walked in, that it was the one. It's been a race for me to find something and get my financing before the roof caves in, or blows off of, this rental I am in. Seriously. My Angels have taken good care of us so far, but that roof can't hold out much longer.

#10 lorilu, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    kimthecat, DanWalkersmum and TriTri like this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks for the great stories everyone! This is very interesting. I have had some changes over the years but, except for the banana bread, it's been more tolerance issues. I can't drink tea any more, it gives me awful stomach pains and heart burn. And I can't eat rice any more either, it gives me trouble in the other direction. I thought it might be because of the GMOs so I tried non-GMO Project verified rice, same result. When I eat eggs I have to take a digestive enzyme. Thankfully the DE works, because it was hard enough giving up rice, I don't want to give up eggs too. (The DE didn't help with the rice)

Oh I do have another story along this line. I have a friend who grows a lot of squashes and zucchinis and things every year and she's always trying to get me to eat what I call gourds. I tell her I don't eat gourds! One time, for one of our dinners, she made this lovely chocolate bundt cake for dessert. It was really delicious and she didn't tell me until later it was a zucchini cake! I said "You were determined to get me to eat gourds weren't you!" haha!

DanWalkersmum and TriTri like this.
  12. TriTri

Well changes are on the horizon for you @lorilu
    My sister is exchanging Monday too, and hopes to move two weeks later, just a couple of roads away from Charity!

I think your cats will love the new home. I use to move a lot with 3-5 cats and they always seemed to cope well, as long as their daily needs were met. Time for you to try new foods and other new things maybe? There was a change in the moon Thursday night wasn’t there? So lots of opportunities are waiting for you, I”m sure. Most foods taste nice if they are cooked right & in the right recipe IMO. Just think how happy your friends will be if you try more gourds.

DanWalkersmum and lorilu like this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hmm..not really the same though? These cats have lived the same life in the same house all their lives. One is 16 and one is 10. Cats used to moving a lot would cope differently. My mother, for instance, was always moving from one place to another and her cats simply took it all in stride. They were used to upheaval. My cats are used to a very quiet very same every single day life. They were stressed when I first started staying home all the time, in March, even, because it was a change in routine. I appreciate your reassurances though. xx

I used to take the cats out in a fenced yard for outings. With Mazy cat's IBD it had to stop, because she would eat the grass and it would mess her up for weeks. So I cat proofed my porch with deer fence and started having them out there instead. It took her two weeks to venture out there, and that porch after all was a familiar place already. And, she was 6 years younger than she is now.

Oh well, I can't help the worry, it's how I am made. It's happening whether I worry about it or not anyway! And everything wil be all right. I just can't help the dread. :)

As for food, I pretty much eat the same way I live. The same things, made exactly the same, every single day. I detest change of any kind. lol.

14. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I can't remember if you've mentioned it before but have you ever tried the South African tea Red Bush (rooibos)?
    I've grown intolerant of ordinary tea but this was recommended to me a few years ago and I'm hooked now and wont drink any other tea.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Heave! When I was a child, everything seemed to be smothered in it, the thought of it makes me gag! I used to peel it off Battenburg cake and give it to the dog. But the nuts, as you say, are OK.. You can get them dry-roasted and stuff and they are nice.
    @Cully: I've totally gone off tea, too, so might give that a try (if I can find it).

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

They will be fine as long as they have you. A friend of mine has lived in three countries in four years (work-related) and the cats have moved with her. Washington, Finland, now France. The cats must be late teens by now, but I get pictures of them and they seem fine. She would have turned down the work if she could not have taken ''her boys'' with her!

lorilu likes this.
  17. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Should be easy enough as most supermarkets stock it. I use the Tetley version.
    I really hated that dry tongue after taste in all the other teas, but Red Bush doesn't seem to have that. I could never drink tea without milk but I have no problem with this. Tetley do a vanilla Red Bush too which is lovely. I hope you can find it.
    And no, I don't work for Tetley, although I think I should receive a free crate or this.:D

18. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think the key to settling the cats in is scent. Cats rely on scent to identify places and people as home and family. I would suggest ahead of any move you start making up some scent cloths (fabric/old tshirts, towels etc) which you can leave in places they rest or you can stroke over their scent glands (cheeks, forehead, tail base etc) to get them really covered in their scent. Using clothing items etc that are also rich in your scent which you can add theirs to as well is also a good idea as this provides a blended family smell which will be all over their existing home. Store the items in sealed plastic until the move so the scent is retained. If you get a chance to get into the house before having to transfer the cats, use some of the items to transfer scent to the house surfaces at cat nose height especially at thresholds and projecting surfaces (the usual places they would rub against). Also leave the scented items scattered around especially in places that they will consider their safe spaces. The idea is that the family smell will be all over the new house and feel safe. Once moved in keep using the cloths to rub the cats' scent glands and top up the surfaces in the house by rubbing the scented cloths in these areas, especially those areas they seem more cautious about.

Give them lots of safe spaces that they can retreat to. Cardboard boxes with holes cut out the sides in all rooms act as a temporary hiding space which makes exploring less scary as there is somewhere to go if it all gets too much.

It might also be a good idea to confine them just to a few areas for the first week whilst they settle in so there are fewer areas to get used to at once.

If the sounds at the new property are quite different to your existing one you could start introducing them to some background sounds now which you could use at the new place to cover up the strange sounds until they are settled. In the UK we have various talk radio stations and classical music stations which can hide some outside noises and the familiarity will carry over to the new house. Its something thats mentioned in dog chat with settling dogs with strange outside noises but might help with cats too.

I suspect your cats will settle in fine and probably suprise you. Dont forget to thoroughly check for holes and hiding spaces especially in the kitchen and bathroom before letting the cats loose.

#18 kittih, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    lorilu and TriTri like this.
  19. TriTri

Well, good luck with the move. Like @kittih has suggested, as many familiar smells as possible should help the process, along with hidey holes and the same amount of noise, or lack of noise. You are the main factor here, their main need. They’ll still have you, same foods, same beds, same temperature etc and like you said, a similar layout. A few different views out of the windows, they’ll hopefully and probably find as interesting. Try not to worry too much.

kittih and lorilu like this.
  20. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. I do know all the mechanics of it. I've advised others often enough. :D It's different when it's your own though. And a chronic worrier besides, though I do have it all worked out in my head already. I've done this move a thousand times in my head the last two years while house hunting. And again I have to point out, cats used to moving really can't be compared with cats who have lived in the same house and the same routine for 16 years.

But anyway I do appreciate you all taking the time to help and reassure me. It's lovely of you to make the effort. xxx

TriTri, Cully and kittih like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice