Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alystone bulldog insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Starynight29, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Starynight29

Starynight29 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We have recently purchased an alystone bulldog and I'm now looking to insure him. I'm struggling to find the specific breed on insures lists however have found bulldog and Dorset OLde Tyme Bulldog. I'm wondering if I should be picking one of these. The only site I have seen alystone on is petplan.

Any advice would be helpful!

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

What is he registered with the vet as?
    Ideally should be the same to avoid any potential issues with paying out!

You could always contact the insurance company direct and ask, too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Starynight29

He was registered at a vets through the breeder but I am yet to do this as I was going to complete both tasks on the same day.

Other paperwork we have he's an aylestone bulldog but the only insurance I have seen with that breed in the list is petplan so was thinking maybe he just needs to go down as a bulldog.

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

If not on the list otherwise, I might be tempted to put him down as a bulldog mix.
    Not being a recognised breed you might get away with it (again, assuming he's down as the same thing at your vets), just as 'typical' english bulldogs are more a pile of health issues than they are actual dog, which would probably rocket your quote price though the roof

Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Starynight29

Thanks for the advice. I will contact the vets for their advice they hopefully will be able to point me in the right direction.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or just go with PetPlan. They may not seem to be the cheapest, but when many other companies quibble about paying out, PetPlan do pay out. And most vets will accept direct payment from them so you don;t have to pay out first then claim back - most vets only do this with a very restricted number of insurers. Their premiums don't rise as much as most others. too.
    As Aylstone bulldog is on their list, the premium would have been assessed against the likely health problems they might encounter, so it should be a fair price.

Mum2Ozzy and BlueJay like this.
  7. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

I'd stick with petplan too. There might be other cheaper ones but like above, petplan are well known for paying up and to me it was important that they deal directly with the vets because i don't have a financial backup to fork out thousands of pounds first to pay vets and then claim back from insurance x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice