Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ALWAYS read the recipe before you begin. I am STARVING. It's 11.45pm. :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by classixuk, Jun 8, 2010.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Thought I'd make my self an authentic lasagne tonight from a new recipe that I haven't tried before.

I followed the recipe faithfully.

I chopped the onion and fried it in extra-virgin olive oil. I added chopped pancetta and garlic for 5 minutes. I placed that mixture into a large pan, and then browned my beef mince. I added that to the large pan before browning off my pork mince. I added that to the large pan too, before browning off my chicken livers and yup...put them in the large pan too.

I then added red wine, 3 tins of Italian chopped tomatoes, grated half a nutmeg in, 1 full tube of tomato puree, lots of freshly milled black pepper and a bit of sea salt. Gave it all a good stir. Tore up lots of fresh basil leaves and stirred them in too.

It was smelling delicious. :D My mouth was watering :arf:

Next line - Take the large pan off the hob once simmering and place into the oven at 140 degrees for four hours! :eek:

Nevermind...it's only got 2.5 hours to go now. :(

OH just brought me some eggy bread to munch on to keep me going.

Do you have any idea what it's like smelling this lovely cooking smell coming from the kitchen oven for 4 hours yet not being to eat it?

:eek::eek::eek:

ALWAYS READ THE ENTIRE RECIPE BEFORE YOU BEGIN - a lesson I have learned tonight. LOL

2. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

:eek: JHC! My homemade lasagne only takes 45mins - 1hr MAX in the oven.
    That's everything (apart from the lasagna sheets) cooked from scratch.
    No wonder yer starvin there!

I hope you can still enjoy it when it comes out.

If not, leave it till tomorrow and hope the pets don't steal it!

D x

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Should have gone to 'Tesco's'... :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Cat Detective

Cat Detective PetForums Member

Are you mad lol - why not use three separate pans to brown off the different meat at the same time - and there is NO way that it takes 4 hours in the oven - a traditional lasagne has not got livers in it either - seriously, I am a cook br trade and I can give you a good lasagne recipe which takes probably an hour tops !

5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Thanks guys.

I agree, I have never made a lasagne that takes this long LOL.

It's not the lasagne as such (haven't even begun that bit yet)...it's the Ragu that's taking so long.

Here ya go...have a little look at the recipe ;) :

Lasagne al Forno - Pasta - Recipes - from Delia Online

OH is Sicilian and says that Italian Nana always used to take ages making a proper Ragu. I was going to leave the chicken livers out (I only like liver when it's in Pate) but OH said..."No way are you leaving the chicken livers out...they're gorgeous in a bolognese". :(

It better be worth all this trouble.

I reckon once the Ragu is done I'll just have a small bowl with some bread and salad and leave assembling the lasagne until tomorrow. :rolleyes:

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL. Funnily enough, last week I picked up a family lasagne from there for just £5! It was really good value and tasted really nice.

OH said that this lasagne will be more authentic though. :eek:

7. Cat Detective

Cat Detective PetForums Member

Maybe he ought to cook it next time....... :D

8. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL!

Well...I am back. Licking my lips. Here's my verdict on Delia's 4 hour Ragu (after having a bowl with bread):

REALLY REALLY RICH! So rich, that I could only eat half a bowl and put the rest aside until later. It's flavour and texture are astounding...there is just no way you could pile this stuff all over a plate of spaghetti and eat it. You'd probably only want a tablespoon on there. It really is that rich! Oh, and you can't taste the chicken liver as being there either...it just gives the whole thing a bit of 'weight'.
    I think by the time it's mixed with pasta, cream sauce, mozarella and topped off with parmesan it should blend beautifully.

Can you believe I only did this as my basil plant was getting too bushy? :rolleyes:

Will see what the verdict is tomorrow and let you guys know.

;)

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

:eek: Recipe by Delia ....

Enough said! :D

Hope it tasted good!

D

11. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Have to say...we just had our first portion about an hour ago and OMG...it's the nicest lasagne we've ever tasted. I've made lasagne from scratch before but this one was out of the league of any I've tasted before.

It gets 11/10!

Everyone should have a go at making this. It's delicious!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

12. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I think as your now the expert classix you should make a massive one for all forum members.;):D

13. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL Janice! I think I made enough Ragu to do that! I've only used 1/6 of the Ragu for a lasagne that had 4 big portions!

Looks like we'll be having pasta with Ragu tonight, ragu and chips tomorrow, ragu pizza on Saturday and turkey with ragu dressing for Sunday lunch! LOL :D

14. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

haha classix your mad, just invite some mates round and share it.BUT, you have to insist they bring the wine.;)

15. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Portion it out into containers and freeze it ;)

Thanks Classy, was going to do my normal one from scratch but will try yours instead. My only gripe is its such a waste of wine to cook with it :rolleyes:

16. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL. OH is now doing this as we speak. As for the wine...Tesco have a spanish red wine in a 1 ltr carton for £3.12 at the moment. And the great thing is, you have 4 hours to drink what's left in the carton while you wait. ;)
    I hope you do have a go at doing it Westie...you will not believe the difference in texture and taste!!!

Janice...share it??? Share it??? I'd want them to bring me a car each for a portion of this stuff! It's pure lasagne gold! :thumbup:

17. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

yuk spit and spit again..if you want a nice wine nip into asda they have a LOVELY Australian wine on offer at the moment,3 for £12, should be just over £8 a bottle.:thumbup:
    You'll be telling us next your opening your own Italian restaurant.:lol:

forgot to say, the wine is called Angels Bay

#17 JANICE199, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  18. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I've only just managed to convince hubby that screw tops are ok, cartons will be a step too far for him :lol: The best bit about screw top wine bottles when hubby wants a top up I put the lid on and roll the bottle along the floor to him saves me getting up :thumbup:

I'll definitely try it, I've got chicken livers in the freezer so its not a problem, probably tomorrow evenings meal. Thank the lord for Delia, she's a true kitchen goddess ... Nigella who? :p

19. cav

cav PetForums VIP

aaaaw i can not cook im toooo lazy:eek:

20. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

For cooking with Janice? LOL

If a bottle of wine is meant to cost £8 I'm afraid it's going nowhere near my pan! :eek: My belly, yes, but just not cooked first! ;)

In Batleys, they have a nice red cooking wine which I normally pick-up when I'm there for about £8 for a 5 litre box. That way, I get to drink all the good stuff myself LOL.

Westie...I actually try to avoid corks where possible now. A screw top can be kept until the next day, whereas I always feel with a cork top that I should finish the bottle. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of wines, I had a beautiful bottle of white the other day with a Caeser Salad (not usually into white wine). It was called Oyster Bay, and was a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Really fruity and not tarty at all. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice