Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternative to spot-on treatments?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LittleEms, May 4, 2021.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi all,
    Is there a good alternative to spot on flea and tick treatments anyone is happy with? Our old boy seems to be allergic to all of them (frontline, stronghold ect) as he gets sore bald patches where we apply them. He’s been having a tablet for a few years but it only does fleas and this spring he’s been getting ticks at least once a week!
    We have a tick remover but it’s a pain for us and him, plus ticks give me the heebie jeebies haha and I’d rather him not have them in the first place!

2. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

When did he last have a spot on? Could it be worth trying again if it’s been a while? Oscar had what we think was an “acquired reaction” in October last year, so we didn’t treat him over the winter. We gave him a partial dose in April, then treated him a couple of days ago (again, not a massive “squeeze until empty” dose but more this time - he’s at the bottom end of the weight range so I wondered if that had made a difference too) and he’s okay currently. I’ve discussed with his vet and told her we will treat him in the spring/summer and not the winter, which we think is a good plan. Hope you can figure it out.

3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

The only product I know which does both fleas and ticks is Bravecto but make sure to read the guidance as your boy is sensitive. It's a chew, not a spot on.

4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Do you think he will tolerate a spray?

I know some people say that Fipronil is ineffective for some cats but I have certainly always found it to be extremely safe and effective.

The larger 500ml bottle of Frontline will cost you £40 (online, with no prescription). You need a minimal amount and that size bottle for one cat will last you a few years.

You can buy smaller sizes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice