UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 year old doberman cross has been put on Hills ID due to his kidneys being shot having prancreatitus, in addition to under active thyroid, heart murmur and irritabel bowel. Hills ID is £60 a bag which isn't covered by the insurance. Can anyone suggest an alternative that isn't quite so pricy

·
Registered
837 Posts
My 16 year old doberman cross has been put on Hills ID due to his kidneys being shot having prancreatitus, in addition to under active thyroid, heart murmur and irritabel bowel. Hills ID is £60 a bag which isn't covered by the insurance. Can anyone suggest an alternative that isn't quite so pricy
It's not dried food, but raw MIGHT be the best diet for him - my dog has an undiagnosed liver disfunction and gastrointestinal problem - the vet is questioning IBD, and we have been advised to feed her just chicken and/or fish (lower fat and very easily digested). We have put her on natural instinct (it was going to be a wet food, Naturediet, but I can source NI locally so my lack of freezer space isn't an issue anymore) - she is also on "pet plus" supplement which consists of enzymes, prebiotics, probiotics, vits and mins, hope this helps - but do speak to your vet first before changing his diet x

·
Registered
856 Posts
I do not feel qualified to suggest an alternative diet due to your dogs age and health issues :(. However your vet has prescribed the diet according to the medical issues.

If you don't agree then I would suggest consulting a holistic vet :)

My girl was on Canine ID for a while years go for continuous stomach issues nd although I do not like Hills food, it did make my girl better. However since changing her diet totally she has been in better health :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Are you getting the Hills ID from the vets, if you are it is usually cheaper on line from vet pharmacies, it has to be initiated by a vet originally but I believe after that you can buy it on line or by phone order. I usually get my things from Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic I know that they do it you can phone them on 0800
387348 and ask about it alternatively they are usually very helpful, there are other vet pharmacies too.

Dont know if this will be any help its a liver cleansing home made diet from an epilepsy website for dogs, you would have to check to see if it would be OK with kidney and his other problems but that may be worth exploring
Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

There is an adult healthy diet on there too thats home made
Healthy Adult Diet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.