Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternative to Hills ID dried food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by tracy03, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tracy03

tracy03 PetForums Newbie

My 16 year old doberman cross has been put on Hills ID due to his kidneys being shot having prancreatitus, in addition to under active thyroid, heart murmur and irritabel bowel. Hills ID is £60 a bag which isn't covered by the insurance. Can anyone suggest an alternative that isn't quite so pricy

2. Born2BWild

Born2BWild PetForums Senior

It's not dried food, but raw MIGHT be the best diet for him - my dog has an undiagnosed liver disfunction and gastrointestinal problem - the vet is questioning IBD, and we have been advised to feed her just chicken and/or fish (lower fat and very easily digested). We have put her on natural instinct (it was going to be a wet food, Naturediet, but I can source NI locally so my lack of freezer space isn't an issue anymore) - she is also on "pet plus" supplement which consists of enzymes, prebiotics, probiotics, vits and mins, hope this helps - but do speak to your vet first before changing his diet x

#2 Born2BWild, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I do not feel qualified to suggest an alternative diet due to your dogs age and health issues :(. However your vet has prescribed the diet according to the medical issues.

If you don't agree then I would suggest consulting a holistic vet :)

My girl was on Canine ID for a while years go for continuous stomach issues nd although I do not like Hills food, it did make my girl better. However since changing her diet totally she has been in better health :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Are you getting the Hills ID from the vets, if you are it is usually cheaper on line from vet pharmacies, it has to be initiated by a vet originally but I believe after that you can buy it on line or by phone order. I usually get my things from Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic I know that they do it you can phone them on 0800
    387348 and ask about it alternatively they are usually very helpful, there are other vet pharmacies too.

Dont know if this will be any help its a liver cleansing home made diet from an epilepsy website for dogs, you would have to check to see if it would be OK with kidney and his other problems but that may be worth exploring
    Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

There is an adult healthy diet on there too thats home made
    Healthy Adult Diet

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice