Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternative food to science plan

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LisaandPatch, Sep 3, 2013.

1. LisaandPatch

LisaandPatch PetForums Member

Hi all,

I posted yesterday for some advice re fleas and worming products and had some great replies and found some really good websites that will save me money, so thought I'd ask re food.

Patch our 5.5-6 mth kitten is fed hills science plan as this is what she was fed at the blue cross. We have continued to feed her this whilst she settles in and want to continue to feed her quality food whilst she is a kitten. But ive been doing my research and opinion seems to be that hills is overpriced and there is better out there for the same money.

So can anyone suggest a brand that Patch could have instead, that has a good meat % and not much crap stuff, all for the same prices as the science plan (or cheaper preferably!). I intend to search for the cheapest suppliers for food, fleas, litter etc and buy in bulk if need for a month at a time, so that cat expenditure is only going out once a month and we now where we are with finances.

I've been looking and my brain is frazzled! She currently has around 75g of pouch for breakfasts and dinner (1.5 pouches a day), along with dry food to snack on during the day. I would be wiling to maybe use a better quality dry food and keep with the science plan or vice versa if needed.

Thanks lisa

2. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Hi Lisa,

Better to ditch the dry as much as possible, even the best dry is not really that good for cats, and the worst wet is preferable to it! If you want to keep some for emergencies, Applaws, Acana and Origen are the most often recommended on here.

As to wet food, Hills is so overpriced you can do that easily - try Butchers Classic tins from Tesco, Pets@Home or Morrisons for starters, they're not superstar quality, but they are very affordable and grain free which is the main thing. :)

Other than that, if you are willing to get food delivered from the internet, then may we introduce you to the addictive world of Zooplus? :D You can get several grain free brands on there at very reasonable prices - Bozita tins, Animonda Carny, Grau are a few of the commonly recommended.

There is also the Happy Kitty Company where you can get MAC, OmNomNom and other good brands.

Oh, and avoid anything by the big names (Royal Canin, IAMS, Hills etc.) they're all as overpriced an low quality as each other... :rolleyes:

CoCoTrio likes this.
  3. Tanji

Tanji PetForums Member

I put a 10% discount code on the dog section but ver useable for cat bits for zooplus today valid for this month 10PRUK
    Just enter at checkout

Ken

4. LisaandPatch

Hi Jesthar,

Thanks for the reply. I have discovered zooplus and am more than willing to order online. So is it best to just give wet then? I was giving a bit of dry so she has food to snack on during the day. Prepared to buy a decent dry food and pop a bit down each day and increase the wet.

So she was 2kg when she went to the vets 3 weeks ago and for her age and weight the food guidelines was 31/3 pouches a day, so I halved this and the qty of the daily dry to give her daily amounts over both foods. So should she have more wet say 1.5 pouches at each meal and then maybe a small amount of dry in her bowl if she wants it? Don't want her to be hungry during the day especially if we are out. Sometimes she eats all the dry that is down over the course of the day and other times not. She was eating half a pouch in the morning and evening along with some dry, when we got her. Never had a cat before so all new to this.

I'll go onto zooplus and see what qty the different brands recommend and cost it up. I will also check out the Butchers classic tins as I need to go to our local morrisons tomorrow.

We stocked up at the weekend on science plan as pets at home had an offer ending and it was the cheapest way to buy it. So we have enough wet food for upto 2 mths give or take, on current wet food qtys. We have opened a 2kg dry food bag over a week ago and this looks like it will last for a while as she's only eating a bit each day.

Thanks

5. LisaandPatch

Thanks for the discount code!

Just been working out and animonda looks good. If I feed Patch 200g a day with a little bit of dry like applaws as a snack the it will cost around £5 per week, whilst hills would be nearly £10. Even the dry applaws is cheaper than the hills dry and I'm assuming as the food is better quality then Patch won't eat as much to fill herself up.

Need to do some more thinking and planning as we stocked up at pets at home at the weekend, as they had an offer on and it was the cheapest way to buy. So we have around 8 weeks supply based on current consumption.

Going to spend a lot of time on the Internet comparing prices!

6. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Just go with the wet. Seriously, dry food is not just sub-optimal it is detrimental to health. Most of it is pretty tasty and it can be hard to get a badly weaned cats off the stuff. Your cat is happy with wet so be happy about that and chuck that dry in the bin. Even the worst quality wet is better than any dry food but if you are willing to order the good stuff online from the suggested sources so much the better.

7. LisaandPatch

After reading lots of threads on food and doing some net surfing and crunching some numbers I've made my decision!

Going withg the animonda carny for kittens and going to feed Patch 100g at breakfast and dinner rather than 75g, so this will use up a 200g tin a day. Then as I'm feeding her higher quality wet food and a bit more of it, I will buy a 400g of applaws for kittens and pop a bit down for her during the day as a snack food if she wants it.

I popped dry food down along with breakfast this morning and there's still loads left, so don't think she's going to be a massive dry food fan, whereas the wet food doesn't last longer than 20 mins.

Worked out that I can order a months worth and qualify for free P&P with zooplus and old save around £10 a mth instead of feeding her science plan. Just hope she likes the pâté rather than chunks in gravy! Not going to need to order for at least a month until our current supplies start to run low. Although the 2kg bag of dry food might last a while longer!

Now if I could order my wood pellet litter cheaper from zooplus than pets at home I will be sorted. Have sorted out flea and worming stuff cheap on net too. Think I need to practice the flea stuff as I did my first one today - she was not amused! Not sure I got it all on her skin as you can see on the fur on her neck where I've put it asit looks shiny and kind of a bit wet looking. Oh well another dose in a month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice