Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternative feeding for Golden with suspected pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kazziecon, Sep 22, 2013.

1. kazziecon

kazziecon PetForums Newbie

Hi

Our 9 year old Golden Retriever, Hope, has been diagnosed with suspected pancreatitis. Her symptoms are coughing/dry regurgitation (she is not actually sick). It's almost as if she has drunk too much water and is having problems swallowing it. She does drink a lot and always has.

She is taking omeprazol once a day and the vet has suggested we give her Hills low fat/gastrointestinal dry food! She has been having this twice a day for about 6 months now but, recently, she has refused to eat - we sprinkle with bits of chicken or other things we know she likes but she just picks at it!

She has always eaten James Wellbeloved Turkey kibble - she loves it. She is a big dog - over 35kgs - but not overweight. We have started mixing JB in with her Hills but she actually picks out the JB and leaves most of the Hills!

Apart from steaming chicken and rice every night, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Have you considered Burns food?

I use this to manage my dogs liver condition. It was either burns or hills prescription diet. On the Burns website they show which of their food is an equivalent to a prescription diet. Am not saying that your dog will prefer this to James Well beloved, but my dog was originally on James Well beloved and I did not have any trouble changing food.

I believe you can even email Burns and they are always helpful.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Burns diets are suitable for dogs with pancreatitis - I know they're not fantastic, but they're a hell of a lot better than Hills, and more like the James Wellbeloved that she is used to. They do fish, chicken, duck and lamb kibbles so there is a bit of a selection to give her some variety too, and you can mix it up further by feeding some days dry, others soaked etc. I'd only consider the ''with rice'' versions though, not the ''with maize'' varieties.

Page 6 gives the recommended alternatives to the prescription diets - http://burnspet.co.uk/assets/files/downloads/burns_product_guide.pdf

Information about Burns natural dog food and cat food | Burns Pet Food

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Have a look at the pets at home wainwrights turkey and rice , as good as the burns, slightly higher in fat , but still low compared to lots of others and cheaper than the burns

Wainwright's Mature Complete Dog Food with Turkey and Rice 2kg | Pets at Home

There is a few wets that I have found to be very low in fat too

Wainwright's Light Adult Tray Dog Food with Turkey and Rice 395gm 12 Pack | Pets at Home

And the natures diets fish and rice

Naturediet Natural Dog Food Adult

Just adding it would be better if you could get a definite diagnosis ..pancreatitis is a very painful condition ..and she would be very very ill with it. When my girl had it I thought she was going to die :(

#4 paddyjulie, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Our dog has had a bout of pancreatitis twice. At the time she was on Wainwrights and the vet told us to try Chappie or Royal Canin low fat, didn't fancy Chappie so went for RC. This was OK as it helped the soft stool problem but a few months back we tried Burns Penlan food and we haven't looked back. There have been so further episodes of pancreatitis (touch wood) and her stools are firm and well formed, even better than when on the RC. Wouldn't go back to anything else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice