Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternating foods?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Maiisiku, May 23, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

I know a few people told me they alternate brands of food because their cats are picky, so they won't get fed up! How would I alternate? Weekly or daily? I have applaws pouches and tins, purley tins & natures menu pouches. Enough of each type for 1 week I'm hoping to get her eating something a bit better than dry food as she keeps pigging out on the dry food and not eating the wet. I'm thinking of limiting her dryfood intake ALOT to incourage more wet food. What do you think? Order is in the post.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

The rota you choose is completely up to you. I used to change my wet food with every can/pouch - not only in terms of brand (I had four that I kept alternating) but also type of meat. I still do the same now - I change between types of meat almost daily.

If you want her to eat more wet but she is currently preferring dry, then yes, you will need to limit her exposure to dry to stand a chance at all. Best way is to introduce set feeding times, if you don't already have them, where you feed either wet or dry and don't allow free feeding on dry in between them.

One note of caution - applaws is not a complete food (it doesn't contain the necessary vitamins and minerals - indeed it is just muscle meat, no offal - nothing else but broth). Your other choices are - so perhaps only feed applaws as an occasional treat but not as a viable food alternative.

Hope that helps

3. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

The reason why I picked it up is because she will eat it. I thought if I'm feeding other food it would be ok. Since she'd be getting what she needs from that. I userally feed compleate dry. So I think I'll just put a very small amount in her bowl instead of letting her have it free fed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice