Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alternate bin collection IS NOT WORKING.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

me and my mum are lucky enough to have 2 bins and theres only 2 of us

we fill them up within a week and they gett emptied fortnightly

theres nowhere for it to go

so it geos in the alley way until the bins are emptied -

therefore as soon as they are emptied they are full again

we dont have a recycling bin, werent given one and arent paying $50 for one (english pound sign doesnt work btw)

Imagine how the families of 4-6 down here are?

ITS NOT WORKING :cursing:

is there nothing we can do?

(just by the way, we go to the recycling center with what we can, and junk gets freecycled, and stuff thats not good enough for freecycling goes to the tip)

2. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Your lucky!!

We have one black bin, and its that bad where we are the neighbours are nicking other people's bins as they need another. We have been Quoted £72.50 per black wheelie bin.

We are ment to have a bin emptied twice a month, and we are lucky if we even see a rubbish lorry for this time!

One time it got so bad, people in the area was putting their rubbish in middle of roads and burning it as it was causing rats and foxes to people's front doors.
    One lady has her rabbits killed as they was running in and out of her house!

#2 princessx87, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Complain. Tell them you have rats.
    I don't see how this fortnightly bin collecting thing is going to help! It is just going to mean the rubish is sitting around longer! Which is going to encourage mice, rats, foxes etc!
    I really hope they do not do that here.
    I do not have room in my garden for a compost bin. We do have can and bottle banks in the village, but most of my rubbish is food packages. We already have got rats near here, I know we have because the cat's get them and leave them for me.

I hope they soon realsie what problems leaving rubbish sitting around is going to do, health wise! It will smell more, most people don't have alleyways to keep their bin in, so if it's sunny, it smells! It's going to mean more flies, which will lay more eggs and maggots and ewww they stink!

I hope you get it sorted :)

x

4. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Yep i know what you mean about the rats and smell.

A few weeks back we never had a lorry come and collect for well over a week.
    The smell was out of this world, boiling hot outside for 5 days and the hole street was horrid!

Sorry to tell you, but when i complained to the council, they said its a gov thing and that every area in the UK will have to follow suit!

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well in that case the councils are going to have a hard job keeping ontop of everyone fly tipping again!
    They have been really good round here stopping people dumping rubbish, but if everyone is expected to have rubbish sitting outside their back door stinking away, more and more people are going to be temped to dump it somewhere!

They should be giving everyone really good recycling oppurtunities at the same time! Everyone is going to find it really hard. We only have one can bank and 3 bottle banks in our village. At tesco there is other ones but it is still going to be a huge problem with the food packages etc.

x

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Are you living in a rural area? I've never heard of fortnightly collections before.

We have our kitchen waste and recyclable materials collected on Tuesday morning and as many rubbish bags as we produce collected on Thursdays. We had a big clear out quite some time back and we had a lot of things that needed to be thrown out that did not fall under compostable or recyclable. We put eight 50 litre bags out and all were taken.

Well my stars! I think I have found ONE good think about living in London!!! HALLELUJIAH!!!

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

we have our black bin for household rubbish collected fortnightly and our brown bin for garden waste also fortnightly this has been fro the last 2-4 years now...you get used to it... but its bad over christmas time

juliex

8. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

We have alternate weekly pickups. Recycling (blue wheely bin) one week other garbage (grey wheely bin) alternate weeks. It amazed me how full our recyling bin gets (serious pepsi addict lol). The system in Dunbartonshire with all the little boxes for cans, paper etc now thats a nightmare :(

9. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Ours seems to be working fortunately. We have a small green food bin for inside the house and you put one of those biogradeable bags inside and then every day you take the bag out and put it in the larger green food bin which stays outside till they empty it every week. We have a large green garden waste wheely bin that is emptied every two weeks. We have a black wheely bin that is also emptied every two weeks and then a brown wheely bin for all the plastic and glass bottles which is also emptied every two weeks. We also have a couple of bags for papers and cardboard.

On the whole they are pretty good at collecting - it's usually in winter when we have snow that they don't come because they are scared of getting stuck on our road.

#9 Jazzy, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

We are only allowed one black bin. Collected every 2 weeks, and the lid must be completely shut, so no squeezing in the extra bag.

Our local council dont do a kerb side collection for cardboard, and only recyle plastic bottles, rather than all plastics. Being a non-driving household, getting rid of rubbish is a huge problem, and i go around on my bike, dropping carrier bags full of the stuff into the local public bins.

All i can say is YAY MAGGOTS!.

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Crikey that's good - our council have stated they won't take a bin where the lid is lifted up an inch or so never mind any spare black bags.:eek:

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have Black bags for household rubbish weekly, green box for plastic and glass and a green box for paper collected fortnightly, then the next week it's garden rubbish, that works well.
    At least Birmingham City Council can do something right, which is not that often.:rolleyes:

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Weird...Do you compost? It's brilliant for making use of most waste, you can even put the dogs poos in there :p

14. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

nope, we bury dog poop lol

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You should do it it's great for the garden and will greatly reduce your waste.

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

we have black bin emptied every 2 weeks, green bin emptied every2 weeks, then someone different picks up blue box, blue bag. cant see how all tis helps the environment tbh, i thought it was ridiculous from the start.

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Ours is picked up every week but our council is going to start charging for the amount of waste we leave out. Not sure if and when it's going into effect though.

18. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

They started it here a year or 2 ago and no one was happy about it and in the end they put it back to weekly :D Don't think we'd beable to cope if it went back to once a fortnight!

19. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

mine just goes in the black bin:eek::eek:....not actually mine...the dogs..haha

never would have thought you could compost it

juliex

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice