Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alopecia?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jason25, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

FBA582BF-7554-490A-A674-8F2B7E2F4936.jpeg
    36E9B793-9270-4AC0-A7F9-B95EED40BC3C.jpeg

Now the seasons are changing daisys coat will start thinning out again and these two bald patches will start to show more they’ve been there for about a year now and haven’t changed in size.

does anyone have any idea what it could be? She has one in the centre of both her head and tail?

I’ve seen 3 vets at 2 different practices and they are out of ideas. She’s had an idex test and environment allergy test and they’ve came back as negative. the vets said don’t know what it could be.

I’m wondering if it could be alopecia or something similar? It doesn’t cause her any problems, she doesn’t try to scratch it etc, it just doesn’t look good.
    Any idea what it could be or what I could put on it?

I won’t bother taking her to the vets unless it gets worse.

She very dramatic about vet visits and even going to the vets door throws her into complete melt down and has a right fit lol

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Tail gland is the bottom one. All my dogs have had that.

Ned also has the baldy spot on the top of his head, and has done since i got him. I was once told is common in SBT's/bull breeds.

I would not worry about either one. Especially not the tail gland as thats perfectly normal.

Torin. and Jason25 like this.
  3. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

Thanks I’ll stop letting it get to me lol :D

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Cad has a thinner bit on top of his head too. And sometimes his supracaudal gland area is a whooooole different colour on account of his sable moult patterns.

Jason25 likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Blues tend to get skin issues unfortunately. Staffies, chihuahuas, frenchies, etc. Something about the dilute genes also mean they are more prone to hair loss. There may be another cause but it's definitely linked to colour in a lot of cases.
    My boss breeds min pins and they come in black and tan and red. If a dilute gene appears and you get the blue and tans they nearly always have awful skin and coat.

Jason25 likes this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Both of my Bull terriers have had this when I first noticed it with Sal she was about 6 months old she had what we called her sim card bald patch on her head and a bald patch on her tail she had numerous skin scrapes which showed up nothing.I then joined an American bull terrier forum and there was a thread on this problem all dogs can suffer with this problem but Bull breeds get it a lot more,Large scent glands are present on the head and tail which can cause bald patches in America they call it Stud Tail and it's nothing to worry about:)

Jason25 likes this.
  7. Jem121

Jem121 PetForums Senior

20200319_105505.jpg received_212136423341320.jpeg my blue girl was really bad a few weeks ago! Shes been having coconut oil in her food and on her itchy patches as well as yuderm itchy dog an egg twice a week and sprats twice a week too. She is a bluexblue mating so will likely suffer with allergies and excessive moulting. Could also be CDA. Colour dilute Alopecia. But shes fine in herself just looks a bit neglected.
    Top picture was beginning of last week.
    2nd is this morning

Jason25 likes this.
  8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

Thanks I will try some coconut oil on it, she's currently on a raw fish diet and her skin and coat have done really well except the 2 patches.

Like yours mine is from bluexblue, she has food allergies, and although her environmental tests came back negative, I'm pretty sure she's allergic to some sort of pollen or grass, real bad flare ups in the summer after being on grass. Now spring is here I've noticed her eyes have got a bit runny, not sure if it could be due to change of seasons.

I've read a little about cda, but will read up on it again. Like you say about looking neglected mine is fine with the bald patches but it does look like they haven't been cared for properly lol

Jem121 likes this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

My little rescue wirehaired dachshund was bald from the shoulders back, plus her ears, when we got in her January 2013. She looked really neglegted and pitiful, but by mid summer had a love thick, shiny coat. I think she had a combination of seasonal alopecia and pattern baldness - she was a blue brindle according to the vet. Luckily her skin was OK.

Jason25 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice