Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Almo Nature feeding advice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by congenialhen, Sep 23, 2013.

1. congenialhen

congenialhen PetForums Junior

I want to switch my 15 week old moggies on to Almo Nature, or something similar. they are currently on whiskas and i'm desperate to get them off it.
    however, no matter how hard i look, i can't find any clear answer on how much of the new stuff i'd need to feed them.

they currently have 2 sachets of whiskas each and a handful of dry across 4 meals in the day.
    the lady in the pet shop who gave me the almo to try said it has 4x the nutritional value. so would i feed them 4x less? or give them one little tin a day each?
    it's obviously considerably more expensive than the whiskas and i don't want to spend all my wages on kitty food!
    any advice?
    thanks

2. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Which almo nature is it you are talking about? Most of them are complimentary and should only be fed as a treat food ie up to 20% of a cats diet. There are much better foods to be had at less cost as well!

3. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

4. congenialhen

the classic wet food is what i was given and told it was complete as it was a kitten food.

i'd be delighted to hear of better for cheaper! my two are not fussy at all, thankfully, so i'm not worried about flavours or anything. what can you advise/recommend?

5. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

If you are feeding decent cat food you don't have to worry about it being kitten only.

Almo nature - majority are complimentary not complete.

Much better/cheaper quality foods on zooplus and the happy kitty company.

6. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Food:

Zooplus: bozitas (tins), amonia carney, catz fine foods, Grau (grain free), terra felis, feringa.

The happy kitty company - anything from their website. They do a good trial pack for £12.

Shops: natures menu, hi life

Make sure food is complete not complimentary. Slowly transition them onto new food to avoid upset tummies.

You could always give raw a try

7. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Several points:

The lady in the pet shop is clueless. There is no consistent definition of nutritional value and it can't be multiplied and divided. If she means nutritional energy it will be similar for Whiskas and Almo, albeit Almo is quite likely to have higher digestible energy but not by anything like a factor of 4. Her advice can be profitably ignored.

Almo is very very expensive. The are many high quality feeds that are cheaper, in fact most foods are cheaper. (You could choose from Bozita, Animonda, Grau, Macs, Omnomnon, CFF, Ropocat, ferringa, butchers, NI, Nutriment etc.)

Please be careful that you are feeding one of the COMPLETE foods from Almo. It will say quite clearly in the tin. You absolutely must not feed a high proportion of the diet with non-complete food.

You should plan to drop the dry altogether really.

15 week old kittens should eat as much as they want spread over lots of sessions; anything from 5% of their body weight in raw food to 10% of cooked food each day.

8. congenialhen

thanks everyone for all your advice. quite a lot to take in!

i'm going to get some of the natures menu sachets as they seem quite easy to get around here and see how they go on them.
    they aren;t doing badly on the whiskas; at the vet earlier he's put on 500g and she's put on 300g in the last 3 weeks. he;s just such a chunk! he'll be a giant once he's on something more nutritious.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Whiskas contains sugars, fillers, & grains, and is too low in protein for growing kittens. I would not feed it to my 4.5 month old kittens. The sugars are particularly bad for them.

My kits are doing well on Grau Kitten, Macs Kitten, Lily's Kitchen Kitten, Animonda Carny Kitten, and I have also given them a little CatzFineFood (suitable for all stages of development) which they enjoyed.

In addition they also have a little cooked meat and offal (usually heart or kidneys) once a day, which they ravish! :D I am in the process of moving them on to a part raw food diet. So far they only play with raw food:D

10. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Sounds like a good boy :). I hope he likes the NM. I would really think about ordering on-line though. The commonly recommended sites, zooplus and happykittyco, are really very reliable and you'll want to have access to a variety of foods.

11. congenialhen

that's new to me. our last cat was on one food most of his life until near the end when all he would eat was tuna steak.

is it ok to give them lots of different brands? i don't want to give them upset tummies by swapping and changing. are different brands better than giving different flavours of the same brand?

and ref. him liking the NM, it's a foregone conclusion! he's basically a hoover. she eats like a little bird, but will give anything a go.

12. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

For most cats it is better to feed several brands in rotation. If you fed only one brand and the recipe changed the cat may not be keen to try anything different. Nutritionally it's better as well.

13. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Just to hammer it home - on Zooplus Almo Nature classic is £7.68 a kilo in 280g tins, and Catzfinefood is £5.41 in 200g tins, £4.96 in 400g tins. Even Feringa, which I think is very expensive, is cheaper at £7.49 for a 200g tin. Other brands mentioned are priced from £2.65 a kile upwards. (Everything at the Happy Kitty Company is cheaper than Almo as well).

So if you can cope with online ordering and an empty cupboard,it is the way to go!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice