Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Almo cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cazza1974, May 27, 2010.

1. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

I am thinking of ordering some of this from zooplus and wondered if anyone else bought it and what it is like. Sorry it is called Almo nature. lol

#1 Cazza1974, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Tje

Tje Banned

I use the Almo Nature Bio Paté… it’s a lot cheaper than their other products (which I personally thought were rip off prices). Not sure their Bio Paté it’s a complete or a complimentary food though … it does have rice in it, and around 60+% meat content. It’s a heavy Paté type food (similar to Grau, if you know that one). If your cats are more the meat pieces in jelly or sauce type - or the meat strips a la cosma porta type, this probably isn’t the food for them. But overall I do like it for the relatively low price. And the cats aint moaning either.

What I found really helpful when choosing new cat foods, was to read the customer reviews on Zooplus. Each different food has a list of reviews next to it. Just click to read them.

Some foods though have tons of reviews on say the German zooplus, but hardly any of the UK zooplus. But you can use google translator and get a fairly good translation of the reviews. I found that very helpful.

3. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

She has to be really in the mood for pate lol. But I will have a look. Thanks for the reply:)

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Depending on what almo nature food you get, it can be shredded meat - like Applaws. That is their normal small tins. Only the bio stuff is pate.

One piece of advice though. The almo nature food is not complete. Like Applaws it contains only muscle meat, broth (and some contain rice). It does not contain any minerals and vitamins. It also contains not enough fat (only 0.5%, not 5%).

So, it should only be fed as a treat once a week.

Unless you are also feeding dry food. Almo nature suggests that you feed 60% wet and 40% dry.

5. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

She does get dry food as well as wet.:)

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

7. Tje

Tje Banned

Ooops, I’ve just been told (from a British friend who’s visiting) that the Almo food I referred to as “Almo Nature Bio Pate” is actually called “Almo Nature Daily Menu” in the UK. She swears she has the exact same, and we’ve poked around the contents of the tin, and sniffed like two morons, but hers has a different name than mine. I hate it when food manufacturers name things differently according to country.

Hobbs, do you know if the Bio Pate (or Daily Menu? or whatever you want to call it, lol) is complete or complimentary? You know how hopeless I am at tin labels… it says 1% raw fat if that helps. This friend is feeding an awful lot of this stuff if it’s not complete. So a wee bit worried.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello Em! Bio pate is a complete food - it is the only almo nature product that I am aware of that contains minerals and vitamins. However, it is not the same as daily menu - which is a complimentary food. According to the manufacturer, Daily Menu should be considered as a complementary food to be added to Holistic Croquettes in order to provide your cat with all the nutrients he requires

Ingredients of bio pate chicken: meat and meat derivatives (of which chicken min. 15%), minerals and vitamins: E 15 mg/kg, D15 IU/ kg. Analysis: Protein 10%, fibres 0.3%, fats 5%, ashes 2%, moisture 82

Daily menu ingredients: meat and meat by-products (chicken >13%, beef >4%), fish and fish by-products (oceanic fish >6%, tuna >4%), wheat gluten, eggs, carrots 1.6%, peas 1.6%, rice 1.4%. Analysis: Proteins 11%, fibres 1%, fats 3%, ashes 3%, moisture 80%.

Then there is also the cuisine stuff, which is also complimentary. For example, Cuisine chicken with surimi contains: Chicken 48%, rice broth, surimi, rice. Analysis: Protein 13%, fibres 1%, fats 0.4%, ashes 3%, moisture 82%.

And then there are the tins, which are the most readily available and perhaps the most commonly fed. These are not complete. Tin of Almo chicken breast contains: chicken breast 75%, stock 24%, rice 1%. Analysis Protein: 20%, Fat: 0.5%, Ash: 2%, Fibre: 1%, Moisture: 78%

So way too much protein and not enough fat plus the missing minerals and vitamins.

What a flipping minefield!

9. Tje

Tje Banned

crikey, you can say that again. :rolleyes:

ok,

they are two different foods afterall

Bio Pate is complete
    Daily Menu is complentary

I find this all so very very confusing, and I find the very name "Daily Menu" is misleading. (if you know what I mean... it sounds like a complete diet, not a treat or soemthing to be given when they're on a dry kibble too)

It's high time labelling became more transparent. This makes my head ache. lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice