Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allowed to walk your dog but not foul???? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sz33, Aug 22, 2019.

1. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    Quick question about a topic which is affecting me daily and has left me baffled. We live on a new development (housing and commercial) which has been vocal during its development and in its marketing at being a pet friendly area. I quote: "We changed our regulations to allow dogs, giving local residents somewhere on their doorstep to walk them."

However, now as the number of local dogs has increased, we dog walkers are coming under increasing pressure when our dogs go about their normal business on their walks (solid mess of course is cleaned up immediately!). We get harassed by the cleaning staff and emails from busybody managers. I have confirmed again with the developers and land owners that they still permit dogs.

What are people's thoughts and views on having an area which is "dog friendly" but not "mess friendly". Is it realistic to encourage dog walkers to exercise their pets but then harass them when their dog pees? What can we do about it?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Am a bit confused by the post but how much dog mess is actually left behind?

Is it these 'poo police' they exist everywhere that like to complain about dog walkers when they see a female dog wee and presume it's someone walking away from not picking up that keeps reporting? Having female dogs I have had my fair share of them!

DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

No solid mess is left behind. Just urine! No one gets harassed by members of the public. It is actually the building managers who threaten cleaning cost penalties while in the same breath claiming that they "welcome pets".

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What cleaning costs do they incur? If the dogs are peeing up building or in doorways then no this should not be allowed. Where are the dogs going that is causing a problem?

5. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

It is a paved outdoor pedestrian only area with restaurants and apartment buildings. My bitch just pees on the floor and I suppose some of the dogs may go against the concrete benches. They already have permanent cleaning staff employed who I am told have to go and mop up urine because it is "unsightly".

6. lullabydream

So it's not exactly a dog friendly area per se...

What country are you in?

LinznMilly and sz33 like this.
  7. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

We are in central London!

I have requested to see the prespecified policy towards animals in the Planning Permission/Development documents through a Freedom of Information Request. I predict that they will have stated that dog walking is permissible, in which case I feel confident that they would not be able to continue to harass responsible dog walkers.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Do the houses have gardens? Maybe they are expecting all the dogs will only pee in the garden and never on a walk.

Picklelily and lullabydream like this.
  9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I’m not quite clear what the circumstances are here?

In the interests of ‘pet friendly’ is there not an alternative route provided for dog people to take that avoid these more public areas?

Or is it a case that there are inconsiderate dog owners here? Dogs on leads don’t need to cock their legs on every structure they pass; mine isn’t allowed to pee on the seats in the local park even when off lead. This isn’t me being ‘precious’. Nobody, including me, wants to relax on a seat, eat me sandwiches and be overwhelmed by the smell of dog wee. This stuff is all trainable.

If you really feel that the dog owning residents are being unfairly targeted by the managers then perhaps initially form a doggy residents association, ask for a meeting and try to sort out both issues and solutions. Is there an alternative to using the public areas? Have your managers actually ever suggested or offered an alternative?

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Peeing up benches isn't acceptable IMO but if there is no grassed areas then obviously going on paved areas is the only option. If they are not willing to put an are for this then I suppose the only thing you co do is carry a bottle of water with you & wash away the wee .... but I think it's unreasonable to expect dogs not to go at all if that's the only area they have. But then I also think that dog owners need to be aware that the space is not just for them, I suppose consideration from everyone

#10 Cleo38, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  11. lullabydream

Other than carrying around kennel disinfectant in a bottle I really don't know what to do.

I take my dogs through my town centre all be it quiet and don't encourage my male dog to cock his leg, which he doesn't except the lampposts there, not up shop/cafe signs etc. This has already been mentioned though. Not everyone is as considerate.

I don't really understand the attitude to be honest. I have a nice retail park in my town too. Its really quite dog friendly. All the cafes have outside space for dog owners to sit with their dogs; many do. Plus one cafe allows dogs in too. There are no green areas for dogs to toilet or any near by. Well there is a small patch of grass near by but if you are not local then you wouldn't know and it's just outside the retail park anyway. Can't say I notice the smell of dog urine, but there is an alleyway in town that's been used by people no doubt after drinking now that does smell!

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Some shops do have their merchandise outside, and more than once I have seen a dog lift its leg against it . . . maybe not all the dog owners are as responsible as @sz33? I remember some years ago a cleaner hissing something about ''filthy dogs'' as I went past her with mine. I know for a fact that the most she had to clean up after my dog would be any stray dog hairs that might have had the temerity to come loose; but there was another dog owner who would watch her bitch squat and pretend it was nothing to do with her.

LinznMilly and sz33 like this.
  13. lullabydream

There is a bloke in my town who always takes his dog everywhere. He carries poo bags, gets them out his pocket opens them, looks around and around then walks off not picking up. Saw him do it once I thought I had missed it, so saw the same performance yet again another time. Its disgusting!

I have mentioned earlier but having female dogs I have had the poo police on my back several times for not picking up... When my dogs have stopped to have a wee!

14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

The one I mentioned was having a pee, but it was in the hallway of the block and she knew it, but having a sense of entitlement she left it for the cleaners!

lullabydream likes this.
  15. lullabydream

My Stan clocked his leg up in the vets yesterday... I know it's very common. I was mortified and said to the receptionist it was just at the door way too and he doesn't do that as a rule anywhere else. Of course the receptionist was fine but I did offer to at least get the thick of it up if needed. I put that down too stress the little bugger!

LinznMilly and Calvine like this.
  16. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

This is a paved pedestrian only area with restaurants. I have never seen dog mess on the floor, other than urine streaks. I can't speak for all dog walkers in the area, but I know that my neighbours and I are considerate. Given that there are restaurants with outdoor seating we are all very careful not to let our dogs near any of the tables etc. The area is cleaned every morning (regardless of whether dogs have been walked) so I know that any streaks would not cause long lasting stains.

There are parks around 5-10mins away but I suppose my point is that you can't state that "we changed our regulations to allow dogs, giving local residents somewhere on their doorstep to walk them" and then once people actually start walking their dogs have a hissy fit. There are no green space in this development so the only place for a dog to go would be on the paved surface. My feeling is that I would treat the area like a pubic road i.e. pick up dog mess only. I don't know about the consensus but I don't wash/wipe away urine every time my puppy pees on the pavement.

17. lullabydream

What about drink stains, children dropping sweets, crisps etc or is it a children free zone? People unfortunately litter too and don't get me started on chewing gum!

18. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

My point exactly, you are more likely to see a spilt milkshake or even worse, vomit after a Friday night.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Can't you just walk the dog a little further, out of the area where the shops are?

Alternatively the best idea I have seen in this thread is this and I suggest you get on that now.

20. sz33

sz33 PetForums Newbie

Completely agree with Linda and that is something that I will look to set up.

Your suggestion absolutely makes sense, my personal issue is I have a 4 month old rough collie and my neighbour a 10 week old Doberman, so generally as we come out of our block (which opens into the square), our puppies pee almost instantly. They would not be able to hold it in for a few mins to get to a “safe” area.

My second point is why should I change where I walk her if the site is reportedly so “dog friendly”. I have challenged them to ban dogs entirely if they want to see no wee on the floor - something which I suspect they cannot do if it was originally in their planning agreement (not to mention damage to local businesses). Until that point I have made a point of walking her responsibly on the site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice