Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allotments

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tigerneko, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Has anyone got one or had one?

We had one when I was a kid and we kept chickens on there.... me and the OH went for a walk today & decided to go and have a look at it.... we were talking about possibly getting an allotment earlier in the year but going back there has definitely got me thinking about it for real now!

Phoned the council about it when we got back home but I think i'd just missed them.

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hubby and I have been on a waiting list now for 2 and half years, alot more people are renting them and keeping them longer now, so until someone gives up theirs we still go to wait.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

We have :thumbup: just finished planting all our spuds & onions :D & put all the glass back in the green house :rolleyes:

Hope you get one soon its brilliant growing your own veg :D we dont have any chickens :( live to far away :cryin:

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yeah that's the main thing that annoys me, the waiting list!

We got ours from my uncle when he didn't have time for it any more and we ended up keeping chickens on it... they got killed by a fox though after someone broke into the allotment & let the chickens out of the chicken run :(

The ones near me are great, there's a bloke on there keeping little wallabee type things - will upload a picture at some point! And some giant tall birds that look a bit like storks :) and someone else who has birds of prey and stuff - it's such an interesting place to be :)

I was thinking we'd just get 4-5 chickens at first (if it turned out we didn't have time, my OH has a friend with 9 acres of land who'd easily have them, or we could just borrow some of her chickens until we knew where we stood with it lol) but in a couple of years time, i'd build a decent size aivery up there and keep budgies in it :)

DallyBanjo, how long did you have to wait for yours?

#4 Tigerneko, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

About a week but that was 7 years ago before they got popular, I think its a 5 yr waiting list here now :eek: but there are a few that are very over grown & some people think they can just walk into a well kept planted plot :rolleyes:

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I looked but I have no idea what I'll be doing in 50 years or so to go on the waiting list.

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

We have one...we were about to give it up as we just don't have the time tom look after it...but, someone we knew, knew of someone who wanted one, so we now share, which is good for us and him :D:D
    juliex

8. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I've recently just given up our allotment, didn't have the time to keep it up - PF is taking too much of my time!! ;)

We had one for about 5 years. We waited 3 years to get it, although the waiting list was orignally 6 years :eek: but they started halving plots whenever they became available so as to cutdown on waiting time.

Ours was great and I do miss it. We had water on site which was a plus but we weren't allowed to keep any chickens.

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yeah we had ours before they were well known, it was a lovely little escape! I have no idea what the waiting list was like back then cos like I say, we just took it off my uncle's hands when he didn't have the time for it, but he didn't keep any livestock or anything. We gave it up after the chickens got killed. My dad also got his job in the police shortly after so we knew we wouldn't have time any more either.

My OH will be teaching and i'll either be in my retail job or grooming, so I should think we will have time for one... we don't have any kids (and don't want any) so we'll have plenty of spare time :)

Yeah we were thinking of sharing it with the OH's sister because she and her fiancée don't have a garden but want to grow vegetables.

Funny that, when I went up to our old one today - they've doubled them all in size! So that will have made the waiting list even longer :eek: I might give the council office a ring tomorrow and ask what their waiting list is like. There were a few which were quite overgrown/unkempt so hopefully we might be in with a chance. There's also easily 20 or 30 allotments on there so there's plenty to go around :D

There are some which are about a 20 second walk from my house but I don't think they allow livestock. There are also some at the other end of the road (it's like allotment central round here lol) and they did allow livestock but i've heard they've been taken away now... looks like they're still there to me though so who knows :confused:

10. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I don't need one...I've got all this space when I can sort out what to do with the damned weeds.Chest problems at the mo have stopped me doing any prolonged digging...damned nuisance...I'd love to get some taters in at least.

[​IMG]

11. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

if theres no waiting list wait until later in the year,about september....then you'll probably get the rest of the year for free which will give you time to prepare the ground for next years plantings

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Send it up my way, we'll start it off for you :D

Me & the OH have gardens at our own houses but we can't keep livestock cos of our pets :( there's also a massive rat problem in my area so it'd just attract them :( plus, we just want a bit of something that we can call 'ours' :)

Yeah that would be ideal :)

If I get time tomorrow, I will ring the council & enquire... Otherwise it will probably be Tuesday :)

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

We had an allotment before we moved - it was great, I loved being up there.

It was in a dreadful state when we took it over but with loads of hard work we got it looking really good. We ended up growing so much stuff there, we didn't buy any veg for ages. My OH also built a poly tunnel which meant things grew extra quick.

We finally got it looking really good, everything sorted then moved house :rolleyes: We handed it over to a couple of friends - I think they were chuffed to bits that they didn't need to do any hard work

14. Other half is in the process of making me one:D But don't really like the position he's choosen for it!:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice