Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allergy Q

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jem29, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

My husband was allergic to a tabby we once had, but we had to rehome her with a friend because his allergy was so severe. He knew I wanted a cat so much, always had done so we got Sweets our Norwegian Forest Kitten, he is ok with her, he does need to use his inhaler and some days can be worse than others but all in all it is fine, just on weekends he feels it abit.

The kitten we had was a tabby, is it usual then for people with cat allergies to not be as allergic to pedigrees?

2. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Allergies are caused by proteins, and can be highly specific to the individual. For example, you may be allergic to proteins found in the hair / skin which is very common, or those found in urine or saliva.

The proteins also vary between species and between breeds. For example, it is very common to become allergic to cats, rats and rabbits but quite rare to be allergic to ferrets or gerbils.
    Within a species, different breeds can affect people differently. Many people with dog allergies are fine with the non moulting breeds like poodles, bichons, or the wiry coats of schnauzers and Kerry Blues, or the single coats of Italian greyhounds or basenjis. That said, I do know one asthmatic with allergies to most animals, inc most dogs, who has no reaction to huskies - despite them being one of the worst offenders usually.

I don't believe its common for people to be less allergic to pedigrees - it just depends on what exactly triggers the allergy in the individual. You may find that a breed with a different coat type to the NFC (eg a persian, British shorthair, or whatever) may be as bad or even worse than your first moggy.

Fascinating things allergies... I'm glad mine are limited to plants and not animals!

Just wanted to add - have you tried anything else, or just the inhaler?
    There are various others ways of reducing allergen exposure, such as regular vaccuming with a decent hoover (that has a hepa filter), using an air purifier, keeping the cat out of bedrooms, hard floors and leather furniture rather than carpets and fabric, having someone not allergic groom the cat outside regularly, etc.

#2 Colette, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice