UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure Lily has an allergy. Scratching much more recently, seen her chewing at herself a little too, usually around legs/paws but no signs of it being her food. She's never been sick or had runny number 2s. A couple of times she's lost fur through scratching but since we stopped using frontline that's not happened.

Any idea what it could be/is there a common cat allergy? She doesn't have a runny nose but was sneezing alot a few days ago

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has a vet seen her? I am the owner of a cat with a fairly serious food allergy (pretty much all of my threads are about it, my latest being "the raw feeding hasn't worked... Back to square one" - before it was diagnosed as an allergy we had her tested for allsorts.

Poppy doesnt get any gastrointestinal signs of the allergy (runny poo etc) but her skin is atrocious, so I wouldnt rule out food. We had an allergy test done which tests broadly for both food and environmental allergens. Maybe that is an option for you.

Does it seem to occur at certain times of year, suggesting it could be a pollen or plant of some kind?

I would speak to your vet about your concerns.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Hope Lily feels better soon. Agree it could still be a food allergy. My wegie Kyrre gets terrible redness around his face occasionally. He scratches his face a lot then. Poor boy his ears particularly go scarlet and they are so very hot. I kept a food diary and we've discovered that its triggered by heart and liver. Doesn't seem to matter whether its petnatur, macs or grau heart & liver the reaction is the same to a greater or lesser degree.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No her skin is fine, no bad patches whatsoever. So I think it's a mild allergy maybe if she's been in the room when we've sprayed deoderant or perfume.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
No her skin is fine, no bad patches whatsoever. So I think it's a mild allergy maybe if she's been in the room when we've sprayed deoderant or perfume.
It could be an allergy to the laundry liquid/powder you use. You could try changing to something like Surcare, or Boots Sensitive laundry liquid, both of which are scent-free and very gentle. I use them, as I itch like mad if I use the usual makes, (Fairy, etc) even the non-bio ones.

If she still itchy all the time, and you have ruled out a flea allergy, it would suggest diet is to blame. One of my cats is very itchy on certain foods.

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,607 Posts
Pretty sure Lily has an allergy. Scratching much more recently, seen her chewing at herself a little too, usually around legs/paws
:confused:Surely if she is scratching/chewing herself it would point to skin irritation,which is a classic sign of food allergy.It may be a contact allergy,but the only way to find out is to have tests done by your vet to help to pinpoint the cause.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.