Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allergies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purrfectineveryway, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Purrfectineveryway

Purrfectineveryway PetForums Junior

hi, I am allergic to many things so most likely a cat too, They are not severe allergies and I have looked after many pets successfully.

I know there are hypoallergenic pets but they aren't always that, are dear and not the breed i want - temperament, health etc.
    I want to just get a British shorthair and I know you can still live with a cat with allergies.

What are your tips for dealing with allergies and owning a cat. Other than hypoallergenic or no cat!
    Only answer if you have experienced its success or know someone who has pls.

2. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Hard floors
    Frequent grooming
    Consider bathing or wiping your cat (we wipe) from time to time
    Air purifier
    Allergy medicine - for me, that’s prevalin allergy nasal spray plus oral antihistamine (sometimes I take 1 every 12 hours like now due to hay fever as well), and my asthma inhalers
    Wash hands after extensive handling of cat
    Be strict about not letting them sleep on your bed

These are all the things I would advise, but please note I don’t follow them all because he’s just too darn cute so it’s worth it for morning snuggles!!!

Attached Files:

3. Emma Jayne

Emma Jayne PetForums Member

I suffered really bad at the start couldn't breathe asthma came back with a vengeance eyes were swelling up and weeping itchy runny nose and swollen throat (oh how attractive I was lol) but it did start getting better as my kitten was getting older I was taking cetrizine allergy tablets and making sure my kitten didn't go into the bedroom so I had a 'safe spot' so to speak where I could go after showering and without setting allergy off again, deffinitely make a habit of sticking to a strict cleaning regime so you can rid your place of most of the dander and loose fur, brushing your cat/kitten is a good way of keeping loose fur under control too and is a great bonding experience for you both. Make sure you wash your hands before touching your face. Air purifiers are great too. As you're around him/her for longer it may get better for you as it has for me I'm now able to have him in the bedroom on my chest and just cuddle without suffering terribly...
    Sorry for the long reply :) but this has been my experience so far

ewelsh and Purrfectineveryway like this.
  4. Purrfectineveryway

Thanks, yeah they do look sweet!

#4 Purrfectineveryway, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. Purrfectineveryway

Yeah, I am going to buy a Dyson hepa Hoover and if I need a purifier i found a recommended by website rating one for £300 odd.

Emma Jayne likes this.
  6. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

We just have a Silentnight one from amazon for ~£50 Which definitely helps. I’m sure the more expensive ones do a better job but this one is fine for me for now.

Purrfectineveryway likes this.
  7. Purrfectineveryway

Ooo

8. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I should add as well that I have definitely improved as time has gone on with Joey. I dunno if we just had a bad pollen time as well but a month or so ago I had to really hammer my inhalers, and I’m a lot better again now.

The only other thing that I think contributes is that I have started running (outside) again a couple of weeks ago. I usually find if I do cardiovascular exercise that my allergies improve. Whether that’s from outdoor exposure or more efficient breathing, or both, I’m not sure!

9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

A friend of ours couldn’t even come in our house with our cat he had to take antihistamine before visiting. Sadly when she passed away we adopted another kitty and the same friend only suffered a very mild reaction to her! Very strange.

10. Purrfectineveryway

could be shedding changes in the different cats

11. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Your second cat produced less dander.

Soozi likes this.
  12. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Yes didn’t really think of that! Never had any visitors before that are allergic.

13. Purrfectineveryway

i would get rid of it now, it has an ionizing function .And ionizing functions are said nowadays to avoid due to scarring your lungs!

14. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Can you evidence this?

The only ionising thing I’ve ever heard to cause lung scarring is ionising radiation, which is essentially what we refer to as “radiation” in terms of Radiotherapy treatment which is really the only dosage high enough to have this effect. Ordinary X Ray or CT scans aren’t a high enough dose to be able to cause lung scarring of any sort, unless a person undergoes an excessive number of scans...

15. Purrfectineveryway

Yes-there are dozens of websites online by allergy companies or health places - I tried posting links but the forum wouldn't let me!

it is due to ground levels of ozone it produces,( uv lights can also do this but it is very unlikely) since the lungs don't breath ionized oxygen naturally ( it happens up higher in the atmosphere) this can damage the lungs and irritate existing lung problems too. The xrays, radiotherapy and ct scans are more radiation than ozone gas. So it is a different thing.

#15 Purrfectineveryway, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice