Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allergic to...?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Flissy, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I have changed his woodshavings/sawdust to carefresh, taken out the weird green tissue stuff and replaced it with normal toilet tissue...

I have only just changed his actual bed bedding (which still had remains of sawdust in I think) I noticed he was still scratching but am I expecting results too soon?

How possible is it that he's allergic to the hamster muesli..? I don't know what else to feed him in its place unless I just give him peanuts and fruit/veg :p

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Have you treated him for mites?

3. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

No... I don't know how to tell if he has them or not! I had a close look at his skin under his fur and it was a bit peely and dry which seemed to suggest an allergic reaction rather than mites...

Also mites wouldn't make him sneeze which made me think it was an allergy but he has always sneezed since we got him so maybe it is mites :confused:

I don't know its confusing I think I will take him to the vet on Friday if it doesn't improve because its annoying me that I don't know whats wrong with him!! :(

4. thedogsmother

Obviously mice are very different to hamsters but my mice had mites a few months ago and the vet said the reason they were sneezing as well was because the mites were making them feel generally run down. This might not be the same for hamsters though You wouldn't be able to actually see mites as they are too tiny. Poor little boy he sounds to be having a rough time, hope he feels better soon.

5. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

My hammie has mites, hair loss scaley skin and itching are his symptoms. Vets gave me something to put on his neck to kill em, poor lil bugger!

6. thedogsmother

Thats what I got for the mice, is it called xenon or something like that? Hope its working for your hammie.

7. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Well... he seems fine he doesn't look ill or anything :S

He was sneezing long before he was scratching :D

I am working tomorrow and thursday but I have decided if hes not stopped scratching/sneezing then I will take him to the vet :)

8. thedogsmother

He did actually look very healthy in the pics, not a sickly creature. My mice looked really poorly when they had mites.

9. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he was allergic to the sawdust and he just needs to get it out of his system/fur :)

10. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

My hammie looks quite bad, hes 2 and half mind but has lost quite a bit of weight isnt quite as hyper and is going bald, think he feels quite sorry for himself lol

11. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Awwww poor hammy :(

12. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

If you think the food isn't helping either you could make some of your own up with different cereals, dried veg and fruit and seeds.
    Sounds like it might be mites as mice seem to act the same way as hammies to the little b's. You can make a herbal remedy with tea tree oil but I'm not sure of the dosages. Poor wee thing! Try freezing or baking any bedding and new toys that you get your fur baby in future to prevent in future. And if you go to the vets for treatment and they give xenon make sure they give you the right one. My idiot vet overdosed and killed my mice because he didn't know there were two different strengths. You can get a treatment from some pet shops called beaphar spot on that is suitable for rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters so might be worth trying that?
    Make sure you give your baby a cuddle to help it feel better!!

13. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Welllllllll.. I'm not sure yet but he didn't seem to be sneezing so much last night/today, and I've only caught him scratching once. So maybe it was the bedding and its calming down a bit now :)

I'll see how it goes tomorrow and then after that I have 4 days off so can take him to the vet if I need to :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice