Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Allergic to cats...need advice please!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Laurr456, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Laurr456

Laurr456 PetForums Member

Hiya :)

Is anyone allergic to their cat and can offer any advice?

My partner is finding it a bit difficult at the minute and i'm hoping to find something to ease his distress.

He used to have asthma as a child and these are the symptoms he's getting at the moment...struggling to breath and coughing a lot more than usual.

He's been to his doctor...who prescribed a blue inhalor, which is helping a little bit...apart from that, the doctor basically said - put up or get rid (not an option!!)

I've been hoovering every other day and am even in the process of buying a new hoover esp for pets owners with a HEPA filter to help get rid of the smallest possible particles.

Apart from this, we're leaving the windows open slightly in the evenings as the frest air is helping...but its not helping my heating bills!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm afraid if things dont get any better, I may have to choose between them...!! :)

Laura x

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Try piriton?

3. mystra

mystra PetForums Member

I'm asthmatic but mine isn't allergy induced. Unfortunately finding a good doctor/asthma nurse is the next best move now - if the blue inhaler (the reliever) isn't working and he's using it more than 3 times a week (i think that's the threshold) then he should have been prescribed a preventer (usually the brown inhaler, although i have a white one which a different sort called Symbicort) so it sounds like the doctor is just after an easy life where you'll cart the cat off and not come back to him/her

I had a nasty flare up in April and it took me months to recover from it, my nurse actually offered me tablets called Montekulast (sp?) which is designed for allergy type asthma. It did nothing to help my type of asthma - but it did a cracking job on my hayfever (she said it was often prescribed for allergies that weren't connected with asthma too!)

Keep the cat and the boyfriend... get rid of the rubbish doctor and find a more sympathetic eared GP willing to try more things out. I was fobbed off for years until recently i moved and ended up with an amazing asthma nurse looking after my treatment... we make decisions together on my treatment, other doctors just told me to stop cycling and skating and become a coach potato.

Good luck! x

4. Merenwenrago

Merenwenrago PetForums VIP

Not to my cats since I am use to them but to my friends cats so I don't touch my face and immediately wash my hands afterwards and if they lie on my pants I don't touch that area too.

I get red eyes and sneezing sometimes if I do get it on my face.

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

You could try having a test to see what is bringing the Allergy on.
    It just might not be anything to do with cats.
    It could be Fungal spores this time of year or Damp.
    My Hubby had the test done at the Hospital. We were very lucky. He wasn't Allergic to cats.
    If you get him tested then you no what you are working with and hopefully find a solution.
    I wish you all the best.

6. SiaAndMaxsMum

SiaAndMaxsMum PetForums Senior

Hello,

I'm allergic to cats - in some cruel twist of fate!

I cope by taking antihistermines (sp). When I was running a lot I had to take them every day but now only when the fluffies are really effecting me.

My husband in addition to taking antihistermines uses a nasal inhaler to clear his nose. We're both very allergic to Mr Max Face. But we're getting more used to him as time passes.

Good luck with finding your solution

x

7. Billycourty

Billycourty PetForums Newbie

My husband had asthma as a child and he gets allergies from our dog (a leonberger that sheds an unbelieveable amount year round). He takes an antihistamine everyday, and I vacum everyday (twice a day if there is hair everywhere) when he isn't at home. Also I never brush the dog inside.

We have had the dog for 4 1/2 years now, but the doc said it was fine for my hubby to take the antihistamine daily.

I hope you find a solution.

8. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

Also, how long has he been living with the cat? My OH went really snuffly when we first got Mitzi (he's never had asthma) but it cleared after a month or so. My Sister's OH has asthma and he was wheezy for about 6 months before he developed a tolerance to their cat.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Your OH could try Petal Cleanse, which you put on the cat's coat

PetalCleanse - the pet allergy solution

I used to get very itchy from handling my cats, and sometimes developed allergic rhinitis, and this stuff helped a lot.

These days the only thing that bothers me is if I groom the cats indoors. The worse thing is using a brush called a Zoom Groom, which badly affected me and my OH. So I would avoid that like the plague.

Also, I would keep your cat out of the bedroom at all times, (or else give your OH his own bedroom where the cat is not allowed to go:D). It is really important anyone with asthma triggered by cats is able to sleep in a cat-free zone. This includes keeping the cat out of the bedroom even if your OH is away.

10. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

Have you tried getting an air purifier?

My OH and I both have asthma and are both allergic to cats so were worried that we would have problems when we took on Pip, but I knew from experience that my allergy goes away after I'm around cats for a while, and thankfully my OH's has too. We do both get snuffly from her occasionally though, and I have been considering getting an air purifier to try to help with it. Sounds like it would if fresh air does but hopefully the allergies will get better as time goes on for your partner too. :)

11. Laurr456

Laurr456 PetForums Member

Wow again, thank you for all the replies - you've all given me plenty to look into!!

We've had Stella for just over 3 weeks now, she's the first pet we've had as well so we're trying to work out what triggers the allergy still.*

Mystra, my OH cycles to work and back and he's also feeling the effects during this time...it's all really breathing related and im going to suggest seeing an asthma nurse who can spend more time with him.*

As its breathing/wheezing and not itchy eyes or anything like that i'm not sure if antihistamines would work? Will give them a try tho, are they all kind of the same??

Also, do you build up a tolerance over time? When she's been neutered, she will be an outdoor cat (partly to do with the allergy) so I'm hoping this will naturally help with things.*

She's not allowed in our bedroom (or the bedroom my OH's children share on weekends) so I'm already doing that suggestion :)

As we speak my OH is looking into dehumidifiers in eBay!! Not too sure about them as they're quite pricy (and noisy?) but I'm willing to give anything a try. I've never heard of Petal Cleanse but I'll be looking into that as well, thanks!!

Regarding the allergy testing - is this something a (reputable) GP can organise?

Thank you all again x

12. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

When we got Ruxpin I got a bit of a sniffle and it turned into a terrible cough and I was wheezy and I don't have allergies/asthma. It's now clearing and I wonder whether it was caused by new kitten fluff but as I'm getting better I will see how I get on.
    If your OH has be bad for a while might be worth a test at Dr and see what they say?

13. Merenwenrago

Merenwenrago PetForums VIP

Yep sounds like you get asthma which is different to normal allergy symptoms and I usually use an inhaler if I get into a coughing/weezing fit during the high pollen months or when I have had a dose of the flu.

If I dont I end up damaging my throat lining so having an inhaler stops that from happening.

14. JOANNEJ1655

JOANNEJ1655 PetForums Member

I have two cats but my allergy only started when I got my 2nd cat. I was prescribed Nasonex and I was using it everyday and even had it on repeat prescription. I seem to have become more immune to my cat now and only get an out break every now and again. :)

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

16. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

Piriton is the stuff of the cat-loving gods. I was very allergic to Tiny and Simba this summer, took one a day for three weeks or so and now I'm absolutely fine. I think I might have built up some kind of a tolerance or something, but a few months ago, I was miserable indeed with streaming eyes and running nose - even made me a bit wheezy at night. Within a week or so of taking Piriton, I found myself standing triumphantly before a vet with Tiny, who was in the process of shedding his summer coat at the time. The fur was flying, the vet was sneezing and sneezing, but I was absolutely fine.

17. mystra

mystra PetForums Member

18. Bonnie82

Bonnie82 PetForums Senior

Is Stella a young kitten still?

My allergies to Dinah and Monty disappeared when they were neutered. They're a low allergy breed anyway but the difference was amazing.

I can also recommend Petal Cleanse!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice