UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......MM i have done this thread especially :)

Ok, my friend has a ''lilac tortie'' or ''blue cream'' queen pure Moggie! He also has a black and white tom pure Moggie!

The queen gave birth to 4 kittens last night. One ginger and white, one black, one tabby (not sure if any white yet) and one tabby and white.

Now tabby and white and black are dominant on the dads side. The queens mum was also black and dad was grey, i think.

The queens siblings were a pure grey and a black and white and her obviously!

Any ideas where the Ginge came from? :confused: :lol:

Oh i have attached piccies!

Attachments

Reactions: DKDREAM

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there *any* chance another tom got at her? cats can get pregnant by multiple males
Yeah i know i explained that to him. There could be a slight chance. He lives in a tiny Clos and all the other cats are spayed females and neutered toms (only a couple).

However, i did explain that toms will travel far and wide. I know queens will too, but not her, she doesn't leave the garden :lol:

So if she did get pregnant by 2 toms, and one was ginger then that would make sense right?

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
yeah... though I suppose a hidden ginger gene could be hidden by dad and *any* form of tortie carries the red gene too

the problem with mogs is *goodness* knows what is in their history... tis like my Mabel... we assume she has some 'ese in her as she is a choccy tortie with blue eyes and a yowl like a liverpool-dock-walker... but you just never really know unless you own the last 5 generations on both sides and use the same isolation procedures as ped breeders to prevent multiple fathers

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
The ginger is from mum - a tortie mum will always be able to produces red boys.

However - someone else has got to that girl as tabby isn't carried, you have to be a tabby if you have a tabby gene, and, from what I can see, neither of those two are tabby so can't have passed on a tabby gene - so those kittens WILL have another father. Naughty girl. Is mum a tabby? Doesn't look like it to me but I could be missing it. And she's a blue tortie (too dark for a lilac)

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah... though I suppose a hidden ginger gene could be hidden by dad and *any* form of tortie carries the red gene too

the problem with mogs is *goodness* knows what is in their history... tis like my Mabel... we assume she has some 'ese in her as she is a choccy tortie with blue eyes and a yowl like a liverpool-dock-walker... but you just never really know unless you own the last 5 generations on both sides and use the same isolation procedures as ped breeders to prevent multiple fathers
I know its madness! My own moggie gave birth to blue eyed seal points :lol:

Thanks!

So is mum a blue or lilac? It obviously makes no difference but i am intrigued now! She is the lightest grey i know! The pictures are crap!! Sorry!

Looking back though i would say blue too!

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I belive its quite common that a tortie mother will have a red boy
Thanks.

So guys, is it quite rare to have a blue/lilac tortie moggie?

I tell you Guernsey cats have a lot to answer for! We have some genetic bafflements over here! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
sorry,I went back and edited my post - mum is a blue tortie - too dark for lilac. Lilac tortie would be a lot rarer than a blue tortie but I have seen a couple of blue tortie moggies round here - never seen a moggy lilac tortie. (too many recessive genes needed)

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry,I went back and edited my post - mum is a blue tortie - too dark for lilac.
Thanks! Is that still quite rare for a mog? I haven't seen it much. But then thats no surprise! :lol:

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

However - someone else has got to that girl as tabby isn't carried, you have to be a tabby if you have a tabby gene, and, from what I can see, neither of those two are tabby so can't have passed on a tabby gene - so those kittens WILL have another father. Naughty girl. Is mum a tabby? Doesn't look like it to me but I could be missing it. And she's a blue tortie (too dark for a lilac)
No the mum is just blue tortie no tabby but she did have tabby 'ghost markings' as a kitten and youngster but they have all faded. The dad was born to a tabby but if it can't be carried then she was a little tart :lol: not good enough having a tom at home she wanted 2 :eek: :lol:

I will fill Chris in with all this tomorrow! Thanks guys! My knowledge doen't stretch to genetics :lol:

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heres my blue tortie and white.
She is gorgeous!!! I am in love!! :001_wub:

Her ginger/red is so much darker! Smudge's is a creamy colour!

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
The Ginge came from Mum.
Regardless of what colour tortie she is, she is still a Tortie!

Being a Tortie herself, she has that Orange gene and it is dominant.... so she passed it on to some of her kittens. But not all, as she only has one copy of it.

However it is a sex-linked gene... If she passes that one copy onto a female kitten, that kitten will be a tortie. If she passes it onto a male kitten, that kitten will be Ginge, aka Red.

I can go into it more and use the symbols etc to explain, it you would like?

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ginge came from Mum.
Regardless of what colour tortie she is, she is still a Tortie!

Being a Tortie herself, she has that Orange gene and it is dominant.... so she passed it on to some of her kittens. But not all, as she only has one copy of it.

However it is a sex-linked gene... If she passes that one copy onto a female kitten, that kitten will be a tortie. If she passes it onto a male kitten, that kitten will be Ginge, aka Red.

I can go into it more and use the symbols etc to explain, it you would like?
Oh there you are!! Finally :lol:

Yeah, when you have time hun! I am interested in all this malarkey :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
meeko had a Tortie girl like her, black and white girl, blue and white girl a silver and white girl and a Red and white boy. The dad was brown tabby and white.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
meeko had a Tortie girl like her, black and white girl, blue and white girl a silver and white girl and a Red and white boy. The dad was brown tabby and white.
Awwww i love tortie and white like yours. I had a black tortie an dwhite girl when i was growing up and would love naother one. One day. (she was moggie)

I did try and see if Smudge would like to live here but her 'dad' said no :lol:

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Awwww i love tortie and white like yours. I had a black tortie an dwhite girl when i was growing up and would love naother one. One day. (she was moggie)

I did try and see if Smudge would like to live here but her 'dad' said no :lol:
lol bless you, I got meeko from a free paper, she was 30 and when i saw her it was love at 1`st sight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.