Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

All those who work in rescue

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bird, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Take a bow folks, I really do not know how you do it. Some on here are aware that I am looking for a playmate for my boy and have just returned from the local dogs home in tears. Those poor babies, I had to come out and take a few! deep breaths before going back in to see if any were suitable, there was one possible and she just looked so lost and afraid it was heart breaking.
    How do you manage to keep going
    Needless to say Arnie is being kept close to me at the moment and I think I almost squeezed the life out of him earlier just cause I needed to hold him

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Although most rescues run off the kindess and goodwill of volunteers I suppose it is still work but not paid! I do appreciate your comments. Yes it is very hard to go home at the end of the day and leave the dogs in the kennels but when you hand over a dog to an excited new family it makes up for it. Seeing a dog rehomed is the biggest buzz in the world and I will take the heart break and frustration in order to see the dogs find happy forever homes.

Thank you for considering a rescue dog. :smilewinkgrin:

alphadog likes this.
  3. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Here, here.

I cry like a baby whenever I go into kennels and the tears don't stop, no matter how many times my friend (from the rspca) tells me that the dogs are better off in that environment than the place/street they came from

Hats off to all the rescue workers! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

Thankyou very much.It is very hard work and heartbreaking,but it`s an amazing feeling when a dog goes to it`s new home.
    I know it`s not nice seeing the dogs in kennels but when you stop and think of what their lifes were like before they were rescused it helps a alittle bit.

alphadog likes this.
  5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I suppose you're right but it was horrid walking past them all some with waggy tails and others just trying to hide. The one girl that was a possible was just so introverted. Never seen one like that and shes only 2/3 yrs I can feel myself welling up again just thinking about the place.

6. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

i volenteer on a saterday, its so hard not to come home every time with one or two, but when you are there you know that your the ones giving them love and caring for them whilst you are there and that soon enough your effort will be worth while as they get adopted into forever homes.

Its such a nice thing to do, like reassuring them, feeding, comforting them etc

its not that hard, although new arrivals :( its sad to see how scared they are .

x

alphadog likes this.
  7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Just to add my admiration for all you guys.

I have thought about offering my services for dog walking at my local shelter, but I just don't know whether I can actually do it. Before I got my first 2 rescue's, I went to Battersea Dogs Home. I spent 10 minutes in there and saw about 5 dogs, I cried the whole time and had to leave. Since then I have taken in 3 rescues, but never went "looking" again.

You guys are amazing and fortunately for the dogs you are not as "weak" as me!

Well done and thank you x x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice