Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

All the fun of the fair (NOT)!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BigBearsRule, Aug 18, 2009.

1. BigBearsRule

BigBearsRule PetForums Senior

My OH and I took our 3 kids to Flamingo Land yesterday. We were having a lovely day, warm sunshine etc. Whilst waiting for my OH and DD to come off a ride, I happened to notice a woman standing near me....
    [​IMG]

..I was horrified to say the least. Which numpty brings their dogs to an adventure park/zoo.:cursing: Dogs arent allowed in the zoo area. But to make it worse these poor animals had prong collars on, and had to wait at least an hour for their family members to come off the ride. It was warm enough to burn my OH's head, so was way to warm for dogs.:eek:ut:

2. Joanne2412

Joanne2412 PetForums Junior

They could have been staying at the caravan park next door but no excuse!

We went a couple of years ago when my youngest daughter was only a couple of weeks old. We parked up and on our way to pay i noticed that we had run over some dog poo!! I was so angry! Why cant some dog owners be more responsible especially so near to a kids theme park!

3. Clodge

Clodge PetForums Member

I've never seen those collars before - are they legal? They look horrid.

4. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Those collars are horrid i thought they were illegal here

5. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

hey would you rather she left to dogs in the car ? there are places we go with my wee brother that i wish i could bring the dogs in.

got no problem with the prongs, i use them and now a number of others others who use them, and their dogs are happy and healthy. but to be honest in that photo the prong is far too loose and low on the neck.

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I'm not sure if they are illegal or not but they should be.

The dobermans are beautiful tho :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

7. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Prong collars are absolutely cruel...if u cant control ur dog without a prong u shouldnt own this type of dog :mad:

Dobes are gorgeous in the pic....

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

:nonod: The dobes from that pic do not seem to be bothered by the collar at all but like Natik said if you can't control the dog why have it? Nevermind 2!

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I didn't even know prong collars were legal over here.....are they?

Did you say anything to her? I don't think I could've held back. If I ever see someone using those disgusting contraptions they won't know what's bloody hit them! (although i'm sure they'd know if that horrid collar hit them!!!)

And to the member who seems to think they're great..... why don't you train your dog to walk to heel with more conventional (and painless) methods, rather than use something which is clearly no more than a torture device??? Would you like to be forced to wear that around your neck??

10. animallover111

I had never heard of prong collars before joining here.....how do they work....from what i can tell do the prongs stick into the dog if it pulls...??......

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

we have a puppy of 8 months of age at the training having real aggression issues now towards people due to the use of a prong collar. It just goes for anyone trying to touch his neck area :(

12. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

i agree that in your case this dog has had the prong used incorrectly, and this means that you are having to work on problems that could have been avoided but i have not met a dog yet who has had that kind of reaction.

my girls get so existed when i pick them up.

it works by putting pressure on the dogs neck at certain points in my case on my girls its only six points, if the pull they get a bit of discomfort and decide not to do it. i have had it on my arm and round my neck and i yanked it in such a way that i have never done to my dogs and its not as bad as it looks. and my girls have never made a fuss about it and echo is a moan you so much as step on her paw and she squeals like you have just tried to kill her, she has never bothered with the prong.

i don't like this comment that "if you can't control the dog why have it?" if that were the case then rescue centers would be overflowing more than they already are. or lots of dogs who could be helped by this would be put down. i have a friend who's cocker was days away from being put down, it bit her mum and charged at just about anyone who came near it the vets said that if it did not improve they would be forced to put it down. after some strict boundaries and the prong to help with his pulling he is the happiest cocker and his owners are now expecting there first child.

i will admit its not for everyone and it like all other training methods or tools it doesn't work for every dog. i think as long as the dog is happy and healthy then what ever tool or training method being used is doing its job.

i very much hope that your 8 month old pup recovers quickly and that you can find something that will work better for him.

13. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

I have to be honest and dont like the look of those collars at all :(

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Have you considered half checks instead or have they not worked for you?

15. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

What you use that on a cockerpoo?:confused:

16. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Not discomfort.... Pain is what they feel.

17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

looks horrible cant see why anyone would want to use something that could cause your animal pain or severe discomfort.

I'd rather pay ££££ in training my dog to walk and be controlled correctly rather then use something like that

18. clueless

clueless Banned

You use one because your dog gets a bit excited!!!!!! Taken from your link to Cumbernauld training classes
    ""We encourage reward based training with treats and praise but are not niave enough to believe that this approach will work for all dogs and can advise if leash corrections are appropriate however where necessary. A standard leash and collar of your choice are ideal for starting. As you progress you may wish to use a leather 'training' lead, these can be purchased from us. Flexi leads, chain leads and harnesses are not recommended for use in training class."" So do you advice a lot of owners re Prong Collars??

19. clueless

clueless Banned

Totally agree

20. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I was advised by a so called trainer to use a prong collar on Max when he was going through his testing me phase. I told him the only time I would use one would be on him!! :eek::mad:

I tried one on my arm and it hurt so no way was I about to put it round my dogs neck!! :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice