Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ALKP high value issue?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hkkenw, Jun 8, 2021.

1. hkkenw

hkkenw PetForums Newbie

My dog have blood test for health. They said the ALKP is 1175(normally shall be less than 225). but all other liver test ALT, GGT, TBIL value is normal. I would like to know how to fix it and what is the cause?

I don't know is it related or not. My dog has injected first shot of the cartrophen for DGD last few days.

https://www.sdrugs.com/?c=drug&s=cartrophen vet

#1 hkkenw, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Why did your vet think the level was raised?

Torin. likes this.
  3. hkkenw

hkkenw PetForums Newbie

Sorry that I don't know your meaning. But it shall not normal.
    I don't know is it normal if the dog has injected cartrophen recently.
    But I have found the following:

Mildly (< 2.5 × normal) elevated transaminase, alkaline phosphatase, γ-glutamyl transpeptidase, and lactic dehydrogenase occurred in 1.2% of patients. The increases usually appeared 3 to 12 months after the start of Cartrophen Vet® therapy, and were not associated with jaundice or other clinical signs or symptoms. These abnormalities are usually transient, may remain essentially unchanged, or may rarely progress with continued use. Increases in PTT and PT (< 1% for both) or thrombocytopenia (0.2%) were noted.

4. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

I think there can be different reasons why a dog has raised liver enzymes.What symptoms did your dog have that led to the blood tests being done?If you haven't talked to your vet about what might be causing the ALP level to be so elevated and what action is needed to treat it,I think it would be useful if you did.I know it can be difficult when you hear the result to take it in and ask the appropriate questions but now you have absorbed the information,your vet should be happy to discuss it.I'm sure your vet will advise you on whether or not to continue with the catrophen treatment.Please let us know the outcome and how your dog is getting on.
    Treatment may be needed to support the liver, whatever the cause,so I wouldn't delay in speaking to your vet.

Burrowzig likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The point is that your vet should know what effect cartrophen has on liver enzymes, or if your dog may have another issue. Talk to them.

Maurey likes this.
  6. hkkenw

hkkenw PetForums Newbie

They are busy and not willing to discuss much with you. They just said to use ultrasound to check the liver is fine.

7. hkkenw

hkkenw PetForums Newbie

I think only this one issue. But I don't know if there are any treatment for 'DJD'. But they have recommended to check the liver via ultrasound.

8. Silverpaw

I think checking the liver with an ultrasound scan is a separate issue to the DJD and the Catrophen injection.If they find anything in the liver,it would need addressing and identifying the best way forward,regardless of your dogs joints.Obviosly the state of the liver could have an impact on what treatments were appropriate for your dogs other issues.Regardless of how busy they are,they should talk to you about the procedure they are proposing and answer any questions you have.

Burrowzig likes this.
  9. hkkenw

hkkenw PetForums Newbie

Yes, you are right. But I have checked the ALP value are related to bone, gallbladder or bile problem. So it is not specific to Liver. Of course, they have 2 options for me.
    1. keep monitoring due to other liver index is normal.
    2. checking the liver with ultrasound.
    I think the vet does not remember my dog has injected the cartrophen before blood testing.
    Of course, I afraid there may be serious issue. And I would like to find out is it related to cartrophen. Because there are not much information mentioned.

https://www.southwestjournal.com/vo...ted-alkaline-phosphatase-what-does-that-mean/

10. Silverpaw

If your dog has a serious issue,it needs dealing with whether it is related to the Catrophen or not.I'm sorry but I really don't understand why your concern is focused on a possible effect of the Catrophen rather than your dogs health.There are lots of things that can affect a dogs organs.My dog has needed ultrasound scans to check on his liver and he has never had Catrophen injections.I really do think you need to discuss the situation with your vet incase urgent treatment is needed, whatever the possible cause.

Maurey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice