Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Algae. Is it a problem?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Hi All,

My tanks is slowly starting to build up Algae on the side of the tank (the glass).

Although it isn’t very pleasant to look at and obstructs my view is it actually a problem? I have a small group of cherry and Japonica shrimps who seem happy to scale the walls feeding on the Algae but it makes no real difference to the amount of Algae on the glass.

If having the Algae there is benifitial for the shrimp and won’t cause any problems to my water or tetras then I really don’t mind to much.

I don’t want to clean it off if this is the case.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

A little algae isn't a problem. If you want to keep it in check naturally, the best algae eaters (especially for small tanks) are nerite snails. You only need one, they don't breed in freshwater so you won't be overrun, and they are fantastic algae eaters. There's three varieties to choose from - horned, zebra and tracked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice