Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alfie the beagle Meningitis (SRM)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Laylayfierce, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Laylayfierce

Laylayfierce PetForums Newbie

ello,
    We are the proud owners of Alfie, a 9month old Beagle puppy that was diagnosed with Steriod Response Meningitis at just 3months. He has been given several courses of steroid dosages since March but appears to have relapsed three times since.
    The first was due to coming off the steroids too soon, the second was a reaction from recieving advocate worming/flea spot treatment and his most recent one being Tuesday 4/9/18 - vomitting and abdominal pains from either eating something toxic, a bug or a foreign body which has not been concluded. He appeared to be showing signs of improvement the next day and was discharged from hospital however in the late evening, his symptoms of trembling and discomfort returned. We were constantly ringing the vet throughout asking when is a concern to bring him back but they kept reassuring us he is just poorly and will get better.
    At 5am 6/9/18 we decided to return to
    our local VetsNow hospital and he is now being treated on a symptom basis for gastro intestinitis and a high temperature and neck/spine pain which is symptoms of another meningitis relapse.
    Although we appreciate all the effort our local vets are doing to treat him, having only owned Alfie for 6months, we are seeking further expertise and support from yourselves as we love him dearly and its unfair for a young dog to be going through so much pain back and forth from hospital.
    To conclude, we have been advised they are keeping him for a further day or two, awaiting ultrasound and X-ray results to establish the cause of his abdominal pain that triggered his SRM relapse :(

2. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I can't offer any advice but we have a beautiful schnauzer on the books at work who has SRM and he hasn't had a relapse in the last 18 months or so. It was awful whilst he was going through all the diagnostics and had his first relapse but he's living an almost completely normal life and is a really cheerful lad.
    I know this isn't any actual use but I wanted you to know about him just as a happy ending story really.

I hope he recovers rapidly and my only cautious suggestion would be that you treat any illness in future as suspicious and push any vet that sees him to consider his SRM when they are treating him.

Good luck Alfie!

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. Laylayfierce

Laylayfierce PetForums Newbie

I didn’t realise it affected Schnauzers. So happy your baby is better, atleast there is some hope that we can lean on for Alfie. How old was your dog when diagnosed and how long was treatment?
    We’re finding that the local vets prefer to treat SRM instead of diagnosing the reason before his meningitis is triggered.
    We’ve heard he is doing well but has had a few episodes of vomiting within his hospital stay. Hopefully his stool and blood results can diagnose his prognosis accurately whilst his SRM is maintained.

4. Peggypegs

Peggypegs PetForums Member

Sorry I can’t also offer advise; but our mini schnauzer was resently diagnosed with SRM and is only now getting back to what she was before the steroids. From what I’ve seen online it does seem to be luck of the draw on when or how many relapses your dog has which must be aweful if your dog is the one to have many relapses.

If you haven’t already look at Beagle Pain Syndrome as this is what it is also called in beagles and other beagle owners may be able to share some help and support.

Do hope he gets over this relapse he sounds like a fighter.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

This lad isn't the first mini schnauzer I've heard of having it but schnauzers aren't my bag so I couldn't say if it's commonly seen in them or not tbh. He's not mine, he belongs to a client on our books at work.
    My limited understanding is that you might find that you can only ever treat flare ups and may never get to the bottom of what triggers them. Usually it seems to happen when the dog is immunocompromised due to other issues.

I hope he continues improving!

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I have no advise for you, I just couldn't read and run and to let you know I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the results of the ultrasound and X-ray help with the right treatment.

7. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Sorry another one who cannot help as regards symptoms etc but just wanted to add good vibes for the little one, virtual hugs & good luck woof's from my Emma

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice