UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Awe bless, they are real babies i'm afraid and they love to be near their humans. Of course this isn't always posssible so they have to be left now and then. I find baby gates are great for separating yet not isolating them, I persoanlly have never had the need to use a crate I just have two gates, one on the kitchen doorway and one on the hall doorway for when I have to leave them while I go out/work. I don't leave them together - not even Kali & Flynn who live together most of the time because if they did have a scrap (and Mals sometimes do) they could do damage to each other. The whimpering will stop once he knows he can't have your attention but the boys I have found are real babies compared to the females - I like them best though!

If you freeze a large kong with raw minced meat in it, or tinned if that's what you use you can give him that when you leave, it lasts much longer then un frozen meat and if it's raw it will be a treat for him if he' is usually fed commercial. I would say a bone but they should be supervised with them just in case. One of mine (all raw fed) got a piece of bone stuck across the roof of his mouth once, he didn't half panic, lol. So that's why you need to be there. I know you have researched but be very careful with socks (two died that I know of) and make sure all his toys are large (mine have swallowed my little dogs squeakies and I have been very lucky they vomited them up) Mals throats are huge and obstruction is the second biggest killer in the breed. I know of a few who have had emergency surgery to have things removed and there are NO toys lying around any more or socks that can be stolen - Flynn vomited a sock too! :eek:

If you do get a female be sure you get her from a very experienced breeder who can help if you have difficulties. The same sex aggression isn't always the case, my girl Kali hates all of my dogs, Marty included and the only one she will tolerate is Flynn her son, even he has to be careful as she can be grumpy with him. She has had fights with all of my dogs (yes even the little ones) which she has always started and I have had baby gates up for seven years to keep her away from them. The occasional accident when the gate has been left open has resulted in a fight on a couple of occasions. If I had my way I'd have one Mal and one of another breed in the future - I can't take the chance of this scenario happening again. I do know of male & females who live peaceably together but the females are the one who are more aggressive as far as I'm concerned and some very experienced Mal workers have found the same, some starting fights on rigs. So be warned, lol! ;)

ETA - Mine have never been allowed upstairs either, enough hair downstairs thanks, lol!

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I know what it's like and those flat ears, couldn't you just cry eh? They are so visual in their body language and so hard not to cuddle constantly. I have to admit to constantly cuddling my Flynn, he's my 'baby' and because he has had two hip replacements I spoil him rotten. He's the result of my two dogs mating (not by me) and of the litter of eight he had severe HD. I got him fixed and he's now good as new but I always let him get away with things because of what he's been through. He's 4 1/2 and had them done from nearly two onwards. Strong as an ox now though and soooo loves his mummy! :)

I find gates better than door, even when you are home you can separate him a bit. let him get used to some distance - I had to with Flynn because he got so much attention after his ops. He still stands with his big chin on the gate looking at me with flat ears when he wants to come in the front room and I'm there, lol. He's good though and lies down when I tell him, though I'm tempted to let him in I know I have to show him he can't always have his own way. Goodness it's hard when you love 'em so much eh?

Just off - walk while it's stopped raining - at last!

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Good luck, once he settles he'll be a lil angel you'll see. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.