Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Alaskan Malamute needs re-homing ='(

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by devils, Jun 4, 2010.

1. devils

devils PetForums Newbie

well my heart is broken...

After a violent split from my partner, i can no longer care for my dog ( no one home during the day ) :(

He is a gawjus 1 yr old malamute male, he is house trained, a bit boystrous ( but what boys arent ) and has the softest, gentleist nature ive ever seen in a dog..

He hasnt been nuetered

To split from my partner was a hard decision, but to lose this lil man is gonna kill me, but i know it's the right thing to do by him !!

Please only experianced malamute lovers reply as i need him to go to the best home possible !!

Im in the Warrington area

[​IMG]

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Can you not get a dog walker for lunch times ... may be you've looked into all that, but there must be someone who can take him out part way through the day ...

I am sorry for your circumstances but do try every alternative before you give him up....

C x

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Is there really no one else who could help you out: dog walker, dog day care, friends?
    Reading through your previous posts it seems that you've only had him since January & he had already had a previous home before coming to you.

4. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your circumstances have changed and you are having to make this tough decision.

If you really can't keep him have you tried breed rescue and rescues local to you? Dog Rescue Pages - UK dog rescue homes, centres and shelters guide can be a good place to look.

If you do need to rehome privately I would definately get him neutered. Are there any breed specific forums where people with breed knowledge may be able to offer support and advice?

A good rescue will keep him safe until a loving new home can be found and will offer a lifetime support.

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Have you tried going back to the breeder? Or maybe the breed rescue would be a better option than private rehoming?

I would definately get him neutered before he gets rehomed or you will end up with people showing interest for the wrong reasons it think!

Bless you, i don't envy you he looks a stunning lad. :(

Like other people have suggested could you not get a dog walker in or something to save you the heartache of having to go through the rehoming option! :(

6. MarKalAm

MarKalAm PetForums Senior

Is he Kc reg? If so, contact Cynthia at breed rescue, she will be able to help you. AMCUK Rescue - Home

As suggested, have you spoken to his breeder?

7. devils

devils PetForums Newbie

I recieved him as a rescue, ive been told he is KC reg, but have no paperwork, tbh KC registration is something that isnt important to me !!

If i could hold on to him i would, but in an area like this, anyone offering to dog walk him at lunch times, would also rob me blind on 1st visit to my house !! That, or i wouldnt see him again !!

I asked on here as i know ur all lovers of your pets, and thought that there may be a slight possibilty that someone had room for this lovely lad..

I will be contacting cheshire dogs home, and the RSPCA on Monday, I was just hoping for a better option 1st :(

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

MM You mustn't live in the same Warrington as me... Where about or round Warrington are you?

9. devils

devils PetForums Newbie

Sankey.. Ive had my bike stolen once, my car smashed up 3 times, and my garage broken into twice !!

So my faith in the ppl round here is not good !!

All within 6 months !!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Please do not just give him away to anyone you don't know, as he is an entire male he could be just used for stud as has happened to another dog that was 're-homed' by a PF member recently (luckily it was found out what his life was to be & he was taken back). There are some awful people who will just use your dog for ££££'s & he has had enough bad luck already.
    As suggested above contact the AMCUK Rescue - Home for advice

11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Very good point
    To the OP, be very careful, there are some very unscrupulous people out there who will exploit him as he's unneutered
    Good luck with finding him a good forever home

12. devils

devils PetForums Newbie

I fully understand what ur saying !! Ive tried all the local ( and not so local ) rescue centres, most are full, and some wont take him because of his breed ???

Ive rang AMCUK and awaiting a call back !!

13. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Many rescues do have waiting lists so could be worth seeing if you can get on in the meantime? Again would def recommend dog pages as well for anther good resource.

14. MarKalAm

Not important to you, but will make a hugh difference to the dog if he is. AMCUK rescue can find out if he is registered for you, I am glad you have made contact with them :)
    Very good luck to this boy.

15. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I don't live that far from you... Is there really no one you could trust to help you out.. I grew up in Sankey, used to be a lovely place.. I used to live near the Butchers Arms..

16. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Poor guy :(. Could you get him neutered and try rehoming him privately to an experienced home? Hopefully he'll be kc registered and mal rescue will take him. I fear if he goes to a general rehoming centre he may be misunderstood or rehomed to people who aren't up to the job. I have a mal myself but i wouldn't be willing to bring in another male right now. Mo on here is very experienced will mallies she might know someone, hopefully she'll spot this thread. As others have said a dog walker is an option? You could find a 'proper' dog walker as such with refrences and insurance ect? Why was he rehomed from his last home? x

17. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

18. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Can I ask why it matters for the breed rescue whether the KC reg or not? Esp as many rescues don't pass on papers to discourage people wanting the dog for the 'wrong reasons' Don't they just help all dogs in need?

19. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

I honestly don't know, good question, anyone? I'm thinking it might be the closest thing to 'proof' that it's actually a dog of that breed maybe? Not sure, just speculating out loud lol.

20. MarKalAm

I would think because they are just that, a breed resuce, dedicated to Alaskan Malamutes. Unfortunatly they can't help every dog. They don't pass papers onto new owners, but I believe give details of breeding.
    As fuzz says, to distinguish between pure bred and not.

From AMCUK site.

'Malamute Rescue is run by the AMCUK and is the only recognised Malamute breed rescue in the UK. We are dependant on volunteers and donations to ensure that pure bred Alaskan Malamutes are able to be re-homed when they are unable to stay with their families. We are unfortunately unable to help re-home cross breeds.'

#20 MarKalAm, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice