Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Akita growth..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JL1314, May 21, 2010.

1. JL1314

JL1314 PetForums Newbie

My Akita is around 13months old now.. but she is still very small. Weighs around 32kg. Will she still grow? She really does look short compared to all over Akita's.. And I've heard that most puppies from from 3-9months old and after that they'll barely grow. Therefore, does this mean my akita will remain that size? ..also does her diet make a big difference to her growth?

Thanks. =)

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have always had german shepherds and they continue to grow until they are about 18months to 2 years. My friends Akita bitch isn't very big though to be honest and she is over 2.

Was the pups mum and dad big?

3. JL1314

JL1314 PetForums Newbie

She had a period a few months back where she grew quite quickly but then stopped, and now she seems as if she's stayed the same size. :rolleyes: ..i hope she grows bigger.

I'm not too sure about her parents sizes, as we bought her from an owner that initially bought her to breed, but they didn't get along. So I've never seen her mum and dad.

4. JL1314

JL1314 PetForums Newbie

BUMP? ..anyone able to tell me whether she'd still grow?? :confused:

5. cat43

cat43 PetForums Member

akitas can continue to grow and mature till theyre around 2 years old. at 13 months she may have reached her height, but will probably still fill out some , although females are somewhat leaner and lighter than males ( and supposed to look more feminine).
    healthy adult weight for a female is anywhere between 32 and 45 kg, so she may just be on the smaller end of average .
    are you comparing her to dogs that yove seen or other bitches? as theres a big difference in the way they look, and you shouldnt expect your female to look the same as a fully mature male.

6. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

agree with cat43 ,
    my female akita is quite dinky , she is the size of a labrador and she is 5 years and 8 months is 32 kilos ( in need of loosing 2 more kilos lol)
    and my male akita is quite short to , the size of a GSD at 38 kilos ... some of them r smaller some r taller ...
    is there any problem if she would be dinky ?

7. JL1314

JL1314 PetForums Newbie

There certainly wouldn't be a problem if she was "dinky" ..and on the small size.. but I'd love her to bigger.. I've always wanted a dog that would be a big soft bear that i could hug when i come back home. Sounds childish.. but it's life i guess? :thumbup: :D

Could anyone tell me heights of an average female akita??

8. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

about
    Height: 23-26 Inches

Weight: 65-110 Pounds

whitch reminds me I need to take the hight of my lady , I did it once and forgot now , when will woke up will measure her (she sleeps like a pig on sofas now ) lol
    do u have any pics with your girl? I dont think we saw her yet and i'd like to see your beauty

9. JimJamz

JimJamz PetForums Member

My girl who is 9 now is about the size of Rottie (ish) weighing 34kg. Like some have said each to their own. :) Have attatched a pic of my girl.

Attached Files:

10. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

helllo gorgeous

11. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Is yours a Japanse or America Akita ?

I think the American are the big ones, and 32kg would be an fairly normaly weight for a 13 month old Japanse Akita.

12. JimJamz

JimJamz PetForums Member

Me or the dog PMSL. Akita's are by far the best breed :). What's yours called/how old?

13. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

if i say u , people might think is turning in to a dating site :Dif I do not say u am afraid u will be upset so both

I have a turnip called brewster about 2 and half
    and a parsnip from the pic called Kia 5 Y and 8 months ... yours ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice