Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Akita Dog Bite

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ShellyTheWelly, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ShellyTheWelly

ShellyTheWelly PetForums Newbie

hi im new to this forum so let me know if ive done anything wrong. Today i was walking down the path (next to fences for gardens) when a huge akita jumped up and put its paws on the front of the fence. It napped at my hand and bit down very hard. Just punctured the skin and now one of my fingers has gont numb and im getting shooting pains in my hand. Its owner was in the house and didnt see, i couldnt go into the garden to knock on the door so what should i do?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

First of all, either go to your GP or A & E. Any bite should be taken seriously.

I wouldn't attempt to go and speak to the owner. If the dog is still outside, it may well not be safe.

I would speak to the Police about it.

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I agree you should get it looked at dog bites can be nasty.

No way would I risk talking to the owner, I'd speak to the dog warden or police.

4. ShellyTheWelly

ShellyTheWelly PetForums Newbie

Thank you everypne for replying! I have been tp A&E and needed a tetanus shot and stitches (they have daid i have minor nerve damage in my hand) have informed the police who contacted the warden and are looking into if the dog has any past history of bites. Thank you for your help :)

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Keep a photographic record of your injury; it can be used if the owner is prosecuted or for you to claim compensation. Nerve damage to a hand can affect its dexterity in future and restrict what you can do.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

What a very unlucky bite. Personally I would have contacted the owner unless I knew he/she was likely to be awkward and give them a chance to put up a higher fence or not allow the dog in the garden. Have I read this right. You were walking along a path between gardens and the dog reached over and bit you. If there is any question that the dog is likely to do this again you need to insist that the police do their job and speak to the owner, it is an offence to allow your dog to be out of control even on your own property so it is the police that need to act on it.

Katalyst and soya like this.
  7. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I hope you make a full recovery, dog bites can be very nasty.

Forgive me for saying this but reading your post, your hand must have been high enough and close enough to the dog to get bit, I am assuming you attempted to stroke the dog. This does not detract from the fact the dog should not have been able to reach you and you should not have been able to reach the dog.

The owners need to erect a higher and more secure fence, I hope the police/dog warden have insisted on this.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

How did the dog manage to bite you? Did you try to stroke the dog ? Sounds odd that it manged to bite you if it was still on the property

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Last year at an agility show the dog in the adjacent camping pitch lunged up and bit the man who was coming to fix the pump on my caravan - I saw him recently and he still has the scar. He didn't lean over or try to stroke the dog, it's head came out over the fence round his owner's camping pitch.
    Next day the dog did the same again and tried to bite me, but being forewarned I stepped back out of reach. I was surprised the dog was still loose around it's owner's pitch, not tied out or shut away as they knew about the bite. The dog is now banned from attending KC agility shows.

sskmick likes this.
  10. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I liked your post as an understanding of it, my initial thoughts were that Akita's are large dogs an extremely tall their hind legs, not seeing the fence assumed it wasn't high enough, if the dog's head was over the fence. I don't doubt a dog can bite someone passing, in face, shoulders arms. It could be that the victim raised her hand to protect herself.

I have seen many a person reach out to a dog in the same position, most of the time the dog has been grateful for a bit of attention. A border collie my parents owned used to go bonkers at the fence when people passed, he was shouting for attention but people didn't know that. My parents always went out with him to prevent him from doing this. Nevertheless the dog was accused of biting a neighbour's child's bum. Mum was actually in the garden with the dog, and the little girl stroked him, there were no problems at all.

Mum rushed out to the mum and little girl and asked to see the injury - no injury existed. The little girl's mum back peddled and apologised saying from where she was stood it looked like the dog had bitten her little girl.

I am not saying the original poster didn't get bit, the injury sounds horrendous, on first reading the post I didn't see how the dog could have reached her hand, in the same way I didn't see how our dog could have reached a child's bum. Whilst dogs can have reach, they don't have necks like a giraffe. The original posters hand was obviously high enough for the dog to reach and as I stated in my post whether the OP was protecting themselves or attempting to stroke the dog, the fact that the dog bit tells all of us that the owners need to take steps to prevent the dog doing it again.

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Your hands automatically come up to protect yourself - it's instinct. The caravan man's did - he was bitten on the forearm, and my arms came up too when the dog lunged at me.

sskmick likes this.
  12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I fully understand that.

13. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I have hands with a mind of their own. The number of things I knock off cupboards and shelves these days is testament to that. Like you say, we often do things instinctively without really thinking and in that moment your hands could be flying about anywhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice