Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Akita cross Malamute

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lauren-16, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren-16

Lauren-16 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, I'm new!

I have a male Akita cross with a Malamute and a male St Bernard - they're both incredibly beautiful and loving.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on training my Akita (Akela) to not pull so much on the lead? He's just turned a year old so he's still a puppy and getting stronger by the day. We have always tried to train him as much as possible not to pull and he has improved a lot. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any harnesses or training tips to improve him more?

Thanks!

P.S. I know he is always going to pull - he is an incredibly strong dog and he just doesn't realise how strong he is!

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It would be worth perhaps trying a harness with the ring attachment at the front rather then the back, I have a Malamute Siberian husky mix and she pulls like a train at times, I find the front ring harness helps a lot.

Lurcherlad and Lauren-16 like this.
  3. Lauren-16

Thats brilliant thank you, he does have a harness but, as you said, the ring is at the back. I'll get one tomorrow and give it a go - thanks!

4. Lauren-16

Do you also have any advice for walking two at the same time? I'm having to start walking them together by my self now whereas I always had someone with me before.

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

6. LauraKC

LauraKC PetForums Newbie

Not sure if this helps you, but I got one of these harnesses for my boxer who's also a puller. This company also has instructions on how to train
    here. The harness does help with reducing the amount that my dog pulls, but it's not a magical cure. We've had to combine the harness with training.

https://embarkpets.com/products/no-pull-dog-harness
    https://embarkpets.com/blogs/news/top-6-tips-you-that-will-vastly-improve-your-dog-s-leash-manners

Of course it might be best to find a professional trainer to help with some classes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice