Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Akita behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Katie101282, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Katie101282

Katie101282 PetForums Newbie

Hi , could anybody help me with some advise about American Akita please

2. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

What is the problem?

3. Katie101282

I have 5 months old American Akita. Little bit about her , she is a very very clever pup she responds to basics commands and willing to learn but she's very boisterous nips and bites me and the children , I don't think she likes my 4 year old boy
    Assuming she can dominate him , I can't stop her from biting , I had a situation when I try to pull her collar and she proper went for me hand teeth out and bit me hand and kept growling and try to bite again . Very concern about her behaviour as a have two young children. One more thing she was with us since she was 6 weeks old ,I know now that could lead to behaviour problems.

4. FeelTheBern

Perhaps you could take her to obedience classes.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The fact that she came to you at six weeks old does not mean she will have behavioural problems.

She isn't dominating your son, she probably gravitates to him because he's young and excitable.

Why did you get an Akita? I feel you may be overdogged.

6. Katie101282

I love the look of the dog my friend have one and he is a wonderful dog , my puppy isn't like that she's very nasty keeps snapping at me proper angry like she doesn't like us

7. FeelTheBern

Is that a good enough reason for getting one, though? Did you thoroughly research the breed before purchasing the dog?

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Buying a dog for looks is risky as their temperament is really so much more important. You sound like you need professional support. Is she insured and if so does your insurance cover a behaviourist? Or would you be prepared to pay for one? If you say which part of the country you are in we can tag a member who will probably know someone who can help.

9. Katie101282

course I did ! She's just very aggressive puppy but very clever I thought her many things just can't stop her from biting us

10. FeelTheBern

Does she go to obedience classes?

Happy Paws2 and leashedForLife like this.
  11. Katie101282

I already had a trainer out to her she told me to go out ther room when she bit me ,

12. Katie101282

I went to obedience classes but she already knows everything like sit stsy etc ? I eben stoped her from being good aggressive

13. leashedForLife

she's 5-MO, with - from the sound of it, & i'm only guessing - very little training. :(
    How old is the "wonderful" male Akita? - I'm betting he's a mature adult, & DID get some training from puphood on, if only from the family / owner.
    Akitas are Nordics, & unlike Siberian Huskies, not very sociable or needy pups; they are independent & largely self-willed, by nature. That doesn't mean they cannot BECOME highly sociable, but it takes a lot of work, & with 2 young children in the house who both need a lot of parental attention & time, the puppy may not be getting as much training, socialization, & habituation as she needs / needed, from 6-WO to her now 20-WO age. :(
    U can't revisit or fix the past; U can only go on from here. // Are U a single parent, or is there a spouse / partner / BF / GF?
    Does this possible partner help with the puppy? -- With 2 adults, 1 can be minding the children & 1 working with the pup; there's a better chance she'll get the time & work she needs invested in her, to become a good canine-citizen as an adult.

LinznMilly and FeelTheBern like this.
  14. FeelTheBern

Have you considered seeing a behaviorist?

15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

That is good advice for play biting. It teaches puppies, who have engaged in play biting in the litter, that it isn't a good game with humans. Bite equals end of play. How long did you do this for (i mean how many weeks, not how long did you leave the room each time)?

But you said she is angry and aggressive. So are you sure, because if she is aggressive this may not be the right approach.

16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

My autocorrect changes the word 'food' to 'good' so maybe we have a clue here. Was she food aggressive and how did you stop her?

17. Katie101282

She bite while we playing but sometimes sr just snaps in anger like I tryied to grab her collar to pull her towards me and she growled at me then she bit me , I have a lot of time for her I don't work my husband do I train her everyday coz this bread beeds good training , by she's still angry , my little boy went to stroke her she bit him

18. Katie101282

Yeah she was very food agressive but I've stopped that she won't touch till I say eat

19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And how did you go about it?

leashedForLife likes this.
  20. Katie101282

she's good now doesn't touch the food till I say so and she listen to the kids coz I get them Involved ,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice