Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Akela vs Thrive dry

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Siobhan O'Reilly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Siobhan O'Reilly

Siobhan O'Reilly PetForums Junior

Hi all.

I know dry isn't recommended on this forum, but I like to put some in a treat ball for my boys when I have to leave them for the day. They are indoor cats and it keeps them occupied.
    I obviously want them to have the best so wondered if any of you experts could analyse these two ingredients lists. Both brands claim 90% meat....so is it much of a much less between them? Akela is £15 and Thrive chicken flavour is £9 on Amazon.

Thrive has 3 flavours, so I chose chicken so analyse.
    Akela only has one flavour.

Thrive:
    Ingredients
    Dried chicken (64.5%), fresh chicken (16.5%), chicken fat (6%), sweet potatoes, potatoes, chicken gravy (3%), vitamins and minerals, salmon oil.
    Additives
    Nutritional additives:
    Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) (21,635 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) (1,730 IU/kg) vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) (82 IU/kg), sodium selenite (0.64mg/kg), ferrous sulfate monohydrate (240mg/kg), copper sulphate pentahydrate (19mg/kg), manganese sulfate monohydrate (90mg/kg), zinc sulphate monohydrate (267mg/kg), L-carnitine (480mg/kg), DL-Methionine (1,865mg/kg), taurine (2,385mg/kg).

Akela:

Dehydrated Chicken 29%, Dehydrated Herring 14%, Dehydrated Salmon 11%, Freshly Prepared Chicken 11%, Dehydrated Turkey 10%, Sweet Potato 7%, Freshly Prepared Salmon 7%, Freshly Prepared Chicken Liver 3%, Tapioca 2%, Chicken Fat 2%, Freshly Prepared Free Range Egg 1%, Chicken Stock 1%, Salmon Oil 1%, Minerals, Vitamins, Chick Pea Flour, Whole Linseed, Alfalfa, Lentils, Pre-biotic FOS 0.1%, Joint Support [Glucosamine 180mg/kg, MSM 180mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulphate 125mg/kg], Dried Apple, Organic Peas, Dried Organic Spinach, Dried Organic Pumpkin, Dried Organic Carrot, Camomile, Marigold Petals, Aniseed & Fenugreek, Peppermint, Yucca Extract, Dried Seaweed, Dried Cranberry, Dried Dandelion Herb, Dried Pear, Rosemary, Fennel, Dried Blueberry, Dried Garlic, Rosehips, Dried Burdock Root, Organic Honey.

Nutritional Additives:

Vitamins; Vitamin A (as retinyl acetate) 30,900 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol) 1,745 IU/kg, Biotin 190 mcg/kg; Trace Elements: Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 265 mg/kg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 240 mg/kg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 90 mg/kg, Potassium Iodide 1.4 mg/kg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 20 mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.64 mg/kg; Amino Acids: DL-Methionine 2000 mg/kg, Taurine 2000 mg/kg, L Carnitine 1000 mg/kg

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Siobhan O'Reilly

The Akela has a long list of ingredients some of which are not suitable for cats.

e.g.
    1/ Chick Pea Flour, Lentils. (both are indigestible for cats as they lack the right enzyme to process them, so they can cause flatulence and discomfort in the bowel.

2/ Prebiotics can cause bowel discomfort and flatulence.

3/ I would not give glucosamine joint support unless the cat has arthritis.

4/ As carnivores cats do not need vegetables or fruit in their food.

5/ Rosemary extract can cause food intolerance reaction in some cats.

Siobhan O'Reilly likes this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I agree with @chillminx the Akela has a very long ingredients list, with lots of different things in it which may disagree with a cat. Also it has 4 different proteins! I would go with the Thrive

Siobhan O'Reilly likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Neither. They are both very high in carbs. Use freeze dried pure protein treats instead.

5. Siobhan O'Reilly

That's really interesting, I didn't realise about the chickpea flour etc. Thank you for such a well written reply!

chillminx likes this.
  6. Siobhan O'Reilly

Thank you!
    You're right about the proteins, Thrive is much simpler

7. Siobhan O'Reilly

That's good advice! I did try both Thrive freeze dried and also Ziwipeak, but neither came out of the treat ball. Dried food seems to be the right size

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Still though, kibble is just so bad for them. Really cats don't need to eat all day long, it is good for them to have a span of 8 or so hours without food. But if you are determined to do this, hide the freeze dried treats around the house if you are looking for mental stimulation. Or create a puzzle toy yourself that will dispense the freeze dried treats.

Better mental stimulation would be to put a bird feeder outside of a window or two. Cat TV. That will get them alert and stimulated and then they will play, without needing food. I've never left food for my cats when I am not home and I always come home to evidence of their Games that they play without me. I mean, their special toys are always moved. In fact it's my job, first thing when I come home, to find the toys and put them back where they belong. They will follow me around to make sure I do it right. :)

9. Siobhan O'Reilly

Your cats sound adorable and I love the idea of hiding the treats around the house. I am definitely doing that next time I go out. Thank you!

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice