Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Airtight/windproof cat flap advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PhilinYork, Aug 27, 2018.

1. PhilinYork

PhilinYork PetForums Newbie

HI, everyone.

Firstly, please forgive me if this topic has been addressed. I did run a quick search but couldn't find anything recent, but if the answers already exist, by all means direct me to them.

With that out of the way, can anyone offer some advice on cat flaps/doors that are good at keeping out the cold? Ideally one that's designed to be installed on a brick wall.

Some background info:

We adopted our cat, Yuki, when she was seven years old, and as far as we know has never really been outdoors. Having moved from one flat to another, we recently moved to a terraced house, so we finally have the option of giving her some outside space. Our house is TINY, and we have no back door (we have to go out the front door, then around the back to access the tiny yard via a gate), but we decided to get a builder in (a friend of a friend) to build us a small outdoor cat run in said yard, so that Yuki can get some fresh air, sunshine, and a little bit more mental stimulation during the daytime.

The run itself is great, but the flap is pretty rubbish. We had to install it in a brick wall (no back door!), so it was a bit of a challenge to begin with, but it's already quite draughty and the weather hasn't been particularly cold, so I'm thinking about replacing it, possibly with a model that has a tunnel section and a flap at either end.

Any advice, particularly from those who've successfully installed a flap through a brick wall, would be warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

Phil

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @PhilinYork and welome :)

My current house has a Sureflap Microchip Pet Door fitted in an outer wall, with the tunnel add-on fixture leading to it, and it is windproof. When having a tunnel installed it's better to have the Pet Door instead of the ordinary Surefeed cat flap, as the Pet Door is a bit bigger and gives the cat more room to get through the tunnel in comfort. Also the Pet Door seems to have stronger magnets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sureflap-5...2&sr=8-1&keywords=sureflap+microchip+pet+door

My Pet Door is fitted on the outside of the wall with the tunnel inside it. You could put the tunnel on the outside and the Pet Door on the inside, might be even more wind proof.

4. NWForest

NWForest PetForums Member

I have spent many nights chilling instead of chillin as what I thought were my most mega wind and draught defences were rendered useless to even the mildest of huffs and puffs from the nasty wind from the North :) . Think you are up against it really as wind gets everywhere without effort but if it were me I would try a few things before a refit. Is the seal on the door/flap poor? If so , try a silicon sealant to cover the joins , when set then cut with a craft scalpel. That will hopefully give you a more draught proof start. For stronger draughts , is the flap well weighted or does it blow open when a butterfly wafts past ? Maybe weight the door down a little bit more so said cat can still push it open but it stays more shut in mild conditions. Maybe small magnets either side or small coins gorilla taped to each side. For worse conditions, try creating a box on the outside with another door at right angles to the main door. Doesn't have to be a cat flap , can be a clear pvc ribbons. This means the wind can't just blow straight through as it will in even in a two door tunnel. The only airtight seal is evident in movies of underwater or space environments. You will need a locking bay with buttons and two main doors . Your cat will have to be trained to seal and unseal each door as they enter and leave and the bay will have to be large enough for a seat and a couple of cat sized space suits. Think decompression/airlock. Watch Gravity, any of the Aliens series or James bonds featuring submersible vehicles entering larger hatch bays from ships for more ideas :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice