Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Airtight litter box?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by leo_ge, Jan 20, 2016.

1. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    Does anybody know if there exist airtight litter boxes?
    Our litter box' flap door is not tight at all and leaves large space around it, so the odour escapes.

Our cat goes to the toilet early in the morning (around 5am) and after that the strong odour fills the flat.

I partially solved this problem by placing the litter box inside the human toilet room and I installed cat's flap (worth of £10) in our toilet door.
    Now, the door flap, contrary to the litter box flap, is perfectly sealed and no
    odour passes through it, and so, once the cat used the litter box, the odour remains only inside our toilet room.

But this is still unbearable if you want to use the toilet early in the morning
    (of course we do clean the cat's litter box, but i'd prefer not at 5am, but a bit later).

I think I will try to build a litter box by myself and install a door flap in it, but maybe such a thing already exists? (I inspected litter boxes in a large pet shop and none of them had air-tight flaps).

Thanks in advance...

2. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

I think any hooded litter tray will let the smell out. To be honest, it would need to. Otherwise the inside of the tray would just fester with the smell and the cats would probably refuse to use it and toilet elsewhere in the house. This happened to us when we thought the other person had emptied it and it stank. Einstein them took a wee on the floor...

Another question is why your cat's poo smells so toxic, may I ask what you're feeding them? The minute we took ours off felix and other low quality food, the smell pretty much vanished

Satori and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Why would you want to subject your cat to that odor every time she has to use the box? Covered boxes are bad enough for them, but to make it "airtight" wouldn't be very nice for her at all.

I recommend you concentrate on what is causing your cat to have such foul smelling stools. What are you feeding her?

Squeaks, Cookieandme, buffie and 2 others like this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I agree that you need to establish the cause of such foul smelling poop and remove it. Sealing the stench inside a box will likely end up with your cat choosing your soft furnishings as a better place to empty it's bowels.

buffie, Satori and lorilu like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome.:) No litter box is going to be completely airtight, nor should it be, but the nearest thing will be a litter box cupboard with a flap in it, like this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/...er_boxes_nofilter/cat_litter_cupboards/214086

You won't need a covered litterbox inside, an open one is better in this instance, easier for the cat to use. Fit a cat flap to the door of the cupboard.

But I agree with the others ^^ you do need to sort out what is causing your cat to have such foul smelling stools. It is not normal.

lorilu and Satori like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Also, what would happen if the cat got stuck inside?

lorilu and Satori like this.
  7. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Many thanks for your replies!

All I want to do is to keep the smell inside for couple of hours before we get up in the morning and clean it.
    Our cat uses the box only once or twice a day, so it will not have this problem: when it is back, the box will be already cleaned.

Now, yes, before the smell was much stronger and we went to the vet and insisted to have tests and it turned out the cat had some parasites, so it received antibiotics for couple of weeks and it became much better (but still strong for me).

Don't take me wrong, I am tolerant to cats (though these were my wife and daughters who wanted it), but I really suffer that I cannot use our toilet in the morning, I have to leave home quickly and use the toilet at the rail station.

I realize that there are many people who don't care of strong smells and perhaps I am too sensitive. We plan to rebuild our bathroom in summer and add a toilet there, but I am looking for solutions meanwhile...

8. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Cats don't get stuck outside the house when they have pet flap door, so it shouldn't get stuck inside too.

9. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Thanks a lot!!!!!
    Sure, in this case it is better to use the open litter box, but this product seems great, will try to find it at some shop to check it first before I order one.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I will be interested to hear if you find one for sale in a store as I have only ever seen them online at Zooplus.

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Well, I doubt that can be guaranteed ;) but being stuck outside temporarily would not be as unpleasant as being stuck inside a small box, having just taken a stinking dump! :confused:

Honestly, just have a window in the bathroom slightly ajar and put a deodorising air freshener in there.

Satori likes this.
  12. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Sealed is the last thing you want.

Airflow is the only thing that can eliminate odours. The molecules causing the smell bounce around from surface to surface until they escape or, worst case, get absorbed into something leaving a permanent odour. A sealed unit would be the worst thing possible.

Your best bet is to use an open tray and fit a window fan.

Soozi and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Satori

If you get decent airflow the air freshener shouldn't be needed. I am nervous about having air fresheners around tbh because of most of them contain allergens.

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

You should take a look at the latest evidence showing 'safe' compounds in scented candles and air fresheners converting to formaldehyde in enclosed spaces!!

As my Gran would say: Nowt smells as good as fresh air :)

lorilu likes this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Neutradol block is safe to use and is not perfumed.

16. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

As has already been said what on earth are you feeding your cat. No cat smell should be that bad.

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Woody's poop can :p
    OP, how about trying your cat on a course of probiotics?

18. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

As a lot of people have said, if you have an air tight box you may well end up with a cat who doesn't use it due to unpleasantness and that's probably going to be quite a bit worse in terms of smell!

So as everyone has said you should 1. look into why the poop smells so bad and 2. figure out a way to ventilate your bathroom. Does it have a window? If not maybe consider fitting an extractor fan?

19. Satori

Unfortunately I don't need to see the evidence because I am allergic to formaldehyde so I already know which products cause my face and neck to turn into an itchy bag of red puss :mad:. On the bright side, I can use myself as a tester on anything volatile before risking the cats being exposed to it :D.

20. Satori

This would definitely work, if you want a high performance solution.

Use an open litter tray inside a litter tray cupboard.
    Cut hole in back of cupboard to fit round vent ducting and fit grill on the inside.
    Have a spare vent port made in an external wall at the same height as the hole in the cupboard.
    Fit an In-line duct mounted fan between the vent port and the hole in the cupboard.
    Wire the fan so that a low voltage optical switch engages the timer so that the smell will be sucked out 10 minutes after the tray is used.

Or you could feed raw.

lorilu, Ali71, ameliajane and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice