Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Airbrushing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MCWillow, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Its always in the news about photos being airbrushed - so what are your views?

Do you think it makes a huge difference?

Do you think it can give people low self estem?

Does it create an impossible ideal to live up to?

Or do you think its a big fuss about nothing, and airbrushing pics doesnt really change how someone looks?

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I think it's cheating. They should be shown warts & all.

3. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

airbrushing does change how someone looks, it gives them flawless skin and often makes them lots skinnier, browner, no lumps or bumps, line free
    BUT I don't think it's that big a deal, and I actually think by constantly going on about it, it's making it a big deal, I don't tend to buy magazines that are that way inclined, or pay to much attention to it all.
    I think the magazines that point out celebs for gaining a few pounds or having a bit of cellulite is far more damaging than an airbrushed image.
    I'm actually watching something about airbrushing right now on Scotland tonight.

4. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I see where you're coming from, and at my age, I get it (sorry don't know how old you are!) but what about the youngsters - the 11 - 16 year olds - do you think they get it, or do they see these images and think its how they should look?

5. tinktinktinkerbell

I don't really care if pics are air brushed, makes no difference to me

If someone's insecure then it's their problem

6. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Insecure about their weight, sexuality. dodgy tattoos and if their other half is sleeping about 'cause they ain't giving it up? Stuck record dear...

7. la468

la468 Guest

I admit it, in the past I have looked in magazines before and thought "oh why can't I be like her, with beautiful glossy hair, lovely figure with no lumps and bumps, no stretch marks etc etc." but I knew in my heart that the women in question have been airbrushed within an inch of their lives.

I do think airbrushing makes younger girls who are maybe more insecure think that that is how all women should look like when infact that perfection is probably near impossible. You only have to pick up a woman's mag (Cosmo/Company are two examples) and you will see loads and loads of airbrushed people. I believe it does make people insecure, a young girl could open up one of those mags, think that's how all women should look and will then become more and more insecure with herself.

I know it'll never happen but I'd love to see adverts etc with people who have not been airbrushed.

8. tinktinktinkerbell

I'll give you the weight one

Not insecure about any of the others you've listed :confused:

9. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

I think there should be a link or a QR code to the raw image alongside each advert/shoot/spread.

I strongly believe that airbrushed pictures put people under tremendous pressure to be thinner, tighter, toned, lifted, coiffed, flawless, freckle-less, frizz-less, spotless, cellulite-less, etc etc - perfect.
    I believe that this makes people strive in vain to acheive what they see in these unreal depictions. When they don't acheive it they feel inadequate, insecure and inferior - instead of realising it's fake, an illusion and ultimately unobtainable - even for the subject in the pictures themselves!!!!

IrishEyes likes this.
  10. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

I think there should be a little logo in the corner basically showing you its photoshoped. the mags use it to their advantage coz one week they will use a photoshoped image and say wow look how amazing they look and the next they will use an un photoshoped one and as oooo look whos put on a few pounds.

some also forget how much of a difference lighting makes, i have seen so many places showing before and after pictures, before with normal lighting, after with special lighting.

11. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

Not just young girls anymore, very wide spread with guys and magazines showing them with perfect muscles and tone when actually the person in the picture looks nothing like that.

12. ItsonlyChris

ItsonlyChris PetForums Senior

Oh my days! We debated this in college whilst studying 'fashion photography'!

I always said that it gives men and women unrealistic goals of what they want to look like rather than what they should to look like.

I think I wrote about 500 words on the subject :)

On the other hand, sometimes the model will be unwilling to lose a realistic amount of weight so it might be vital to improve the sale of the product being advertised.

13. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Some pics for comparison - some are obvious, but others you may not realise - especially if you are young and impressionable.

Kim Kardashian (I think)
    [​IMG]

Cameron Diaz
    [​IMG]

Model (don't know who)
    [​IMG]

Eva Longoria
    [​IMG]

And why I started thinking about airbrushing tonight - I decided to see if I could do it! Bear in mind I am self taught on photoshop, and it took me an hour or so - so imagine what people that do this day in and day out are capable of! :eek:

MCWillow :blush: :lol:
    [​IMG]

14. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Sorry, I don't agree with that bolded statement at all!

How is the weight of the model vital to whatever is being sold?

If the model is wrong for that product then use another model, but statements like that just perpetuate the myth that what you weigh is a fundamental part of how 'good you are' :nonod:

15. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

also remember that the 'before' pics are with professional hair, make up & lighting.....
    already removed from reality!!!

i think its extra pressure that isnt needed

16. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Most of them anyway ;) :lol:

But seriously, I totally agree :yesnod:

17. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I'm 23, and if I am being honest for me personally I have never been a celeb follower or paid to much attention to them, at 11-16 I was more likely to look at my friends and other girls my age and compare myself to them, rather than that of someone in a magazine. But I completely get that in the past 7 years life has perhaps become far more focused on celebs / body image.

18. porps

porps Swollen Member

obviously it does alter their appearance, but then again, so does make up, so does a new haircut... are they cheating too?

19. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Maybe. But makeup and a new haircut doesn't erase inches from your body or cellulite from your legs or bum.

Look at the pics that actually change the body shape - make up doesn't do that, however much we may want it to!

20. porps

porps Swollen Member

fair point, make up doesnt change the appearance of body shape, but theres plenty of underwear that does.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice