Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Air licking.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by catz4m8z, Apr 18, 2011.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Does anybody's dog do this and do they know the cause??:confused:
    Adam air licks quite alot. I tend to notice coz he likes to sit on a cushion right behind my head and I will suddenly hear him. He sticks his head right out and licks the air, sticking his tongue quite far out as he does it. Its not related to food, drink or anything he was just licking so whats the story??
    I know fly biting is neurological in nature (and it def doesnt look like this) but I cant find any reason for air licking...:blink:

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Charlie likes to lick if anyone sits on the floor he has to go and lick, if you bend down to him he has to lick you, he is the only dog we have had that has been so obsessed by licking and its really hard to stop him other than getting out of his reach, he licks air as well if he cant reach you, ive wondered why he does this, so hope someone comes on with some why's for us.:rolleyes:

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Oh, I have one of those too! Heidi will lick anything, and licks her people to death.:rolleyes: My friends favourite trick is to get her excitedly licking her then turn her around to one of her Sphynx cats so she gets a face full of bald cat!!:D Takes her awhile to stop too, its like once she gets going the tongue is on auto-pilot..
    Adam doesnt do this though and just starts licking the air in front of him. If yo put your hand there he will just move his head and keep licking the air.. Very strange...:confused:

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Thats just what charlie does its sooo funny but annoying as well:D i often wonder how many millions of times his tongue has gone in and out of his mouth in his lifetime.:rolleyes::D

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Don't want to sound stupid....but do they 'taste' things in the air a sort of belt and braces on the sniffing thing. I understood that there is something in the roof of the dogs mouth that senses their environment more than just smells.

6. jjmc

jjmc PetForums Member

This site is great, it makes me feel I am soo not alone with my experiences with our little fella.

I've noticed him licking the air when the dinner is coming out of the oven, I've seen him doing the same in the garden. When I get closer I usually get the aroma of food being cooked nearby, last time he did it I could smell steak and onions wafting through the air, made me feel hungry as well.

7. jessegee

jessegee PetForums Member

Joey does this sometimes, I assumed it was just because he wanted to lick my face but knows I dont like it :eek: perhaps he is tasting the air then...

jessegee

8. odin

odin PetForums Newbie

when it is windy outside mine tries to lick the wind. Always wondered about this, maybe he can smell food in the air.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice