UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyler my cocker spaniel is a pain he will not stop eating things!!!! He eats loads of poop but i know theres not much that can be done about that.:mad:

But i just cant understand why he eats ripped up pieces of rubber/foam balls, he finds them when we are out walking and if im not quick enough its gone!

He was always a chewer and scavenger when he was a pup but i thaught he would grow out of it but hes 3 now and still doing it.

He does drop them when i tell him but hes getting sneeky and i dont see him eat it all the time. Im fed up of being up all night with him being sick, as i work eairly and need to sleep!!

I have tryed a collar that sprays air by remote control but that doesnt work anymore, i know some people wont agree with this but im worried that one day he wont bring it back up and will be very ill and cost a fortune in vet bills. He does it with sticks too and this could really make him ill! Ive even found a balloon in his poop before and i have no idea where he found it? :rolleyes:

Appart from getting him a muzzle (which i really dont want to do) i dont know what else to do!!?? But i cant let him make himself poorly! :frown2:

Sorry rant over!!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Odd response but maybe you could get his blood done at the vets to see if he's deficient in some way? I know dogs often eat grass etc when they know they're lacking in certain nutrients, not likely but maybe this could be the case with a scavenger too?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Odd response but maybe you could get his blood done at the vets to see if he's deficient in some way? I know dogs often eat grass etc when they know they're lacking in certain nutrients, not likely but maybe this could be the case with a scavenger too?
Ditto :) What kind of diet is he on? Has he ever changed food?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks Phoolf didnt think of that will ring the vet and see what they say.

I have changed his food a couple times and hes still the same, hes on arden grange at the mo just put him on this a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm afraid I'd go for a basket muzzle in the meantime if he's eating things that could cause problems, which it sounds like it is.

You can get him used to it gradually and he can still drink, take treats, bark and pant whilst wearing one. I've seen plenty of dogs out and about in them that are perfectly happy and are wearing them for precisely this reason.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid I'd go for a basket muzzle in the meantime if he's eating things that could cause problems, which it sounds like it is.

You can get him used to it gradually and he can still drink, take treats, bark and pant whilst wearing one. I've seen plenty of dogs out and about in them that are perfectly happy and are wearing them for precisely this reason.
I think i will have to look into a muzzle, i couldnt live with myself if he became ill over it all. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.