Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

AHHHH gerbil pups dont look sick!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Crazyman, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Crazyman

Crazyman PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, I am a new Gerbil owner and my Gerbil had 6 pups. Now one died a few days ago. The 5 that are remaining, only one of them looks healthy, and is growing. The other ones look under developed. Do gerbils develope at the same rate or is the mom only feeding one gerbil baby. By the way as of today they are 6 days old.

2. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

from my experiance i have never had sick gerbils but have always had a slightly stronger one! if they are lively, in good condition and feeding well then i would let nature take its course! BUT obviously if you have real concerns then i would take a trips to the vets just to make sure!

3. GerbilNik

GerbilNik PetForums Senior

Has your gerbil had pups before? Also is she on her own looking after them? It may be the case she doesn't quite know what to do with them or how to look after them. What sort of cage/tank are they in and does she have a proper nesbox?

4. Genie

Genie PetForums Member

are you on a gerbil forum? If not, i would suggest you maybes should be to ask questions about the pups. PM me if you'd like some recommendations.
    How are they looking now?
    How much information do you know about raising pups? I did have pups die at various different ages, for who knows what reason.
    Do you have kitten milk replacement? (Im sure thats what it is! Might be puppy :S) if mam is struggling it is helpful to try to syringe feed the pups. But thats why i would ask some experts :)

5. GerbilNik

GerbilNik PetForums Senior

It's kitten milk. If the pups are only days old, you will struggle to get anything into them and even if you did there is a huge risk of them aspirating (milk being inhaled and going into the lungs). The success rate for hand rearing gerbil pups is practically nil.
    The best forum is egerbil, but it's down for maintenance at the moment.

#5 GerbilNik, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice