Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ahh Feel Like I've Forgotten Everything

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by flosskins, Apr 17, 2011.

1. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

Well its been a year since the catastrophe of breeding last year, and I now have a very beautiful girl who is just 1 and I'm trying to remember all the things I should have sorted out before breeding from her. Stud chosen (depending on blood grouping) but I know there are some health tests that I was planning on having done and I now can't remember what they are, have tried searching the forum but can't seem to find what I am looking for. I can see from other sites some breeders test for PKD and other initials I can't remember - please can someone fill me in on everything I have forgotten! I want to make sure all tests and done and everything is checked properly before we start!

Also vaccinations - vets seem to offer different types near me and they all seem to incloude different diseases - what do you make sure is included?

Thanks everyone - my brain really is like a sieve at times, hours of research disappeared within a year!

#1 flosskins, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello im sure one of the breeders will offer you advise when they come online :). is it a BSH that you are going to breed,:) when you say your Brian is like a sieve is that your husband, or did you mean your BRAIN is like a sieve,:D,:D,:D

3. flosskins

yup BSH, and my spelling has obviously gone as well :p off to ammend!!

4. colliemerles

is it the one in your pictures,:) what colour stud are you planning on using, :) what colour kittens are you hoping for. I have a BSH long hair varient, a tortie and white, shes just a pet :)

5. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

She is not JUST a pet :D Being a loved pet comes first. If our pets are bred or shown, that is very much of secondary importance ;) I have never seen a LH BSH. Any pics to share?

6. colliemerles

shes JUST a pet but i love her lol, have you never seen a long hair varient, :) actually i have been speaking to afew breeders who are breeding JUST the long hair varients,:D, i think my girl was only the only one in her litter, but since getting her i have seen alot advertised :)

Attached Files:

7. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

She looks fantastic :D And very well groomed :thumbup1:

I now recall seeing a photo of a LH BSH black silver tabby in one of my books. The breeder of my tabby girl had a couple in one of her litters once. I guess it is because when they were trying to restore BSH breed lines after WW2, when the BSH breed very nearly died out, Persians were used in the breeding stock. As such there must be a few LH genes around.

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

shes lovely! :)

im surprised that we dont see more!

9. LittleTyke

LittleTyke PetForums Junior

my Long haired silver tipped is a bsh. Pictures on the my thread, they're beautiful! She was one of two long haired in her litter x

10. colliemerles

i just looked at the pictures, im in love :001_tt1::001_wub::001_wub:

11. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

I had a LH Varient in a litter of kittens last year, she was very showy with a really laid back attitude compared to her siblings.

Attached Files:

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

gorgeous!!

13. colliemerles

shes just gorgeous, what a beautiful colour,:)

14. flosskins

She's lovely!!

yes its the lilac cream on my pictures, hoping to use a lilac stud to get selfs and torties from her.

Any advise on the tests please all you knowledgable breeders?

15. colliemerles

i dont breed so i am not to sure what tests are needed for the BSH, i know the blood group has to be right, as there was a thread about it not so long ago, but as for health checks i really dont know, hopefully a breeder of BSH will be able to advise you.:)

16. Shayden

Shayden Banned

Hi, i got my cats blood tested, pkd tested and a SNAP FIV/FeLV Combo Test ... ideal both queen and stud should be tested for these.. some stud owners wont accept your queen unless you have an up to date SNAP FIV/FeLV (minimum 48 hrs before mating) some are more flexible.
    obviously the basics as well dont forget ur vax records and flea n wormers up to date :)

17. flosskins

thanks, how do I go about getting the PKD test?

18. Shayden

Shayden Banned

#18 Shayden, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice