Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

AHA! I think I've found a tiny bit of Rupert's problem..!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 6, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Its the Fish4Dogs kibble, it has to be :) :D :thumbup:

Since Saturday lunch time all I have given him to eat is kibble (bar a bit of steak he nicked off Milo but it seems irrelevant). So he's had kibble Saturday afternoon and evening, kibble Sunday morning, afternoon and evening, kibble Monday morning, afternoon and evening and kibble Tuesday morning, afternoon and evening.

Sunday he seemed a bit tired and lethargic but not too bad. Monday he really was very tired, with droopy eyelids. Yesterday he did literally nothing all day, I didn't even walk him (I know, but he wasn't that up for it and its part of me trying to find out what it is without him doing lots of play/walks to add to the tiredness). Already today he's got up, had his kibble and he's laid in the chair in the front room asleep with very, very droopy eyelids and red eyes.

Got to do another part of the test and try cutting the kibble to maybe just bedtime or morning and bedtime and see how he goes with the wet food (Nature's Harvest) he has, I'm thinking maybe its a lack of energy the kibble is giving him as opposed to him being intolerant/having an allergy..?

Hoping he will perk right up on it to confirm what I'm thinking so far...

AND bit of a bonus, just told Mum all this and she was like well, I SUPPOSE we could try and get an old freezer out the paper and have it on the decking as there are some plugs there...:D That would mean I could fulltime raw feed him if she doesn't change her mind and he gets on with it :thumbup:

Anyone who has anything to say please feel free any input whatsoever is very welcome! :)

Here are Rupert's droopy eyes, he is like this from when he gets up, all through the middle of the day and the evening right now, its not normal is it? :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Have they tested him for Horner's syndrome ???

3. GoldenShadow

No?

He's had a thyroid test and regular blood work done which I've got results from but apart from the thyroid no test specific to any disease. This is all at the old vets I moved him somewhere new recently. Old vets said next step was referring for heart work like scans etc but because he doesn't behave he would need sedation which makes those tests pretty pointless hence we stopped there.

If I call him to get him up after a few minutes his eyelids do go back to normal ish levels but when he sits down for a couple minutes they go droopy again :(

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Read up on Horner's, it is something that goldens are prone to, can be caused by problems with the middle ear which I believe Roo has had, I had one with Horner's and his eyes looked just like Roo's. Just a thought and maybe something the vet hasnt thought of ;)

5. GoldenShadow

I just did a quick google do you think that's something I should take him to the vets for or just mention next time we're there (bearing in mind we go on average every four weeks, he hasn't been in a month and its allergy season right about now)?

I'm wondering if heartwork like scans etc might be the next stage just to rule out, when I look at lethargic behaviour the only one I really can't rule out is heartwork. Things like kidney and liver probs my old vet said would have shown on his bloodwork and all was fine. He's had his heart listened to but that's it.

I'm hoping the food thing will help, he's distinctly worse the last few days on just the kibble.

He has had ear infections, one in one ear in October, another in the other ear in January.

Any ideas how long your dog had the horner's for? On internet it says 6-8 weeks ish...

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I would just keep an eye (no pun intended) on him, if his eyes begin to look sore then take him, cold tea-bags work a treat, so keep the ones from the teapot and gently wipe his eyes morning and night just to soothe them. I am hoping he is just a lazy, laid back golden my boy would sleep all day given the opportunity ;)

I am going to say this one again, there is no Febreeze used anywhere in the house or car is there ?

7. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

I can't offer any advice just wanted to wish him well and hope he feels better soon

8. GoldenShadow

Nope don't use any sprays or spritzey things use those wax tarts which melt and leave a scent but haven't been using them for a fair while lately anyway. My car just gets the doors and boot left open if its had a wet dog in :eek:

I would love for him to just be lazy, he just seems to wear out quite a lot quicker than Milo (I know he's a bit younger but you know...), its stamina he seems to struggle with and he'd never been a lazy boy til he turned 2 and we moved down here. We spent 40 mins walking one mile a couple weeks ago and he was knackered after that, he was on a flexi lead so all he did was sniff and walk slowly but he was really pooped :rolleyes:

Thanks Chestersmum! :)

9. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Poor Roo hope you get to the bottom of it, shame if it is fish4dogs as we both like it so much but it cant suit all dogs ay.
    Great if you can get onto raw, :thumbup:

10. GoldenShadow

Vet we saw the other week is off today but they're getting him to ring me back tomorrow. He's been a bit better since just on the wet food but he's so tired/quiet/can't manage going out for long :(

Plus I found out today our insurance have paid our for his thyroid test etc so I'm thinking I might just take advantage of having insurance and see what the vet thinks. Its like going in bloody circles all the time and his ears seem absolutely fine of late but he should be due an ear problem this month.

This way the vet can say what he thinks is best, I don't want to just take him in to be looked at if maybe they can do other things for him whilst he's there but not in an appt sort of thing. Or he might be able to say just do this or that with him, I know if I take him for his tiredness his ears will flare up two days later and we'll be back there. If I two and fro him at this new place all the time he's just going to hate it like the last one :nonod:

I'm too worried that there is something wrong to push him on walks so I just let him pootle along and half the time he's shattered before we even turn back so I don't think its a lack of exercise he just seems like he has no stamina. He tends to enjoy himself he just can't really do it.

Maybe as he's maturing and getting older and the only golden I know I don't know what's normal and what isn't but even so his ears still need sorting.

#10 GoldenShadow, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Probably barking up the wrong tree but this sounds similar to our JRT, I had to force her to take exercise for the last 3 years. Shes been very lethargic, we've had blood tests done and couldn't find anything wrong.
    In January she hurt her leg and she had x rays, it turns out one of her hips is worn- shes obviously been in pain for all this time and we couldn't see it- she didn't show it at all. Poor bugger:(
    Now shes on Metacam and is much better in herself.
    I hope you get to the bottom of your lads problems.:)

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

13. GoldenShadow

Thanks, glad your dog is doing better! He just seems so tired its not normal :(

Oh wow will definitely look into that, thank you!

14. GoldenShadow

Update

Vet rang me back earlier and I missed him. He just rang me now, how amazing is that a vet that rings out of hours to talk to you! I'm in shock :eek:

He was really brilliant. Said in regard to horner's he would be surprised if it was in both eyes as often its just one and it sounds as though Rupert's may be more tiredness related.

Asked how his skin has been which is really good surprisingly. Said he thinks he would have heard something with his heart if it wasn't right but they can do an x ray and or ecg to check out his heart. Also said we can try running him on their field to see how he fairs but that adrenalin may make him less tired than he normally would be to look at.

He agreed with me messing about his diet, upping protein perhaps trying raw to see if that helps at all.

AND

Rupert now gets his own cup of tea every morning :lol:

He said sometimes a bit of caffeine like with people can just perk them up and to give that a go in case his body is just reluctant and not quite getting into gear like it should. So will be trying that from tomorrow too.

Going to book him in for next week for a look over. If the vet says I'm pretty convinced he's OK I'll feel like I can push him on walks, but when he's showing he's had enough and not wanting to move on I don't push him much for fear of there being something wrong. He said it might just be normal for him but you don't know what's normal for each dog until they settle into a pattern of normality and he might just be one very, very 'settled' dog...

Gosh I love these vets though, that man is lovely :001_wub:

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

What great news that you have finally found a vet who can relate well to you and Rupert - makes all the difference.

Hopefully between you (and PF:D) you will be able to find the little man's "get up and go"or at least know where it's gone:D

16. rona

rona Guest

They really put your mind at rest don't they, when you know they really care :)

17. GoldenShadow

Thing is I trust his opinion already and he's only met Rupert once. Instead of saying 'its normal, accept it' with the ear infections he is really keen to get to the bottom of it and has so many ideas/suggestions for his tiredness too. Its just SO reassuring!

Never thought I would be this impressed with a vet, I liked my old old one but he wasn't as available as this one and I think I like this one more! Turns out he is a partner at this practice so *touch wood* he wont move to another practice or somewhere else in the country any time soon!

But YAY for him, he's fantastic :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice