Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

agressive rat

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by dawnie24, May 23, 2010.

1. dawnie24

dawnie24 PetForums Junior

Ive recently brought two rats to go with my other 4,one of the rats is lovely the other will bite as soon as i go near her i now wear gloves i dont show fear but i dont want to get bit aswell,she is only young and ive only had her a week,why is she like this and the other isnt,socialization wont come into it as she is so young.

2. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

I'll say sorry now cos otherwise i'll forget, i'm in a SUPER BAD MOOD, so sorry if this sounds mean it's not supposed to be, i've just lost the will to live today.

because they're two completely different rats.. no two are the same, like us they have personalities. one will be more dominant and confident than the other. be patient with bitey, don't pursue her round the cage, be slower in your actions so's not to scare her and talk slightly quieter than usual around them until she gets used to you. some rats take months to get used to humans. treat the other rat as you normally do and bitey will hopefully come round. don't feed bitey by hand, if you do make sure its something long/big that you can give to her from a distance or with your fingers at the very edge of the other side you're offering her. let her come out of her own accord for playtimes, don't exclude her or she'll never get use to you.

when she's out of the cage and she bites pull your hand away and say 'ow' (short and sharp) or if you want squeak, this will show her that she's hurting you, remember she is scared and pulling your hand away is what she wants.. so put in back (not as close) in a fist, let her sniff it and nibble, but if she bites and draws blood (sore, or continuous pressure) say ow again and leave her alone the second time..

she should in time get used to being around, it's best if she's left to get used to you rather than forced to.. as she may never get over the bitey stage if she isn't allowed to acclimatise on her own accord.

bit of patience and getting used to being nipped is all it takes. if you and other rat show her she's nothing to be scared of then she'll come around eventually.

Waterlily likes this.
  3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

yeah as was said above. I had frankie who was a bitey bastard, but I stopped trying to pick him up instead I just talked to him and let him feel comfortable, then slowly touched his back and "pottered" around his cage with my hand near him. And he ended up been independent but tolerant :)

4. dawnie24

dawnie24 PetForums Junior

Thankyou for the advice,i gave her to my friend to do one on one with her as she is used to problems animals and plus with me having 5 other rats its very hard to do one on one as they all want attention,this way she will have a better life,and she will have another partner.x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice