Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Agressive Puppy PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by albadaisy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. albadaisy

albadaisy PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a 7 and a half month old West Highland White Terrier. He has been castrated. For the last month of so, he has become aggressive, he is fine one minute then the next he is going for either my dad or brother me or mum! This is definatly not a fear agression, and it doesnt seem territorial. I got him for my 21st always wanted a dog and I love him to bits, but my parents want me to get rid of him as they arent coping very well with his aggression. He has bitten my brother and dad quite badly, and theres no trigger it just happens. Please can some help, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really dont want to give him up!

Thanks Megan x

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I would first take him to the vet see if he's in pain which is causing the aggression

3. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'm not trying to be funny but I thought all dogs of that breed were randomly aggressive. My grandparents used to have one that was fine aslong as you didn't make any sudden movements, which wasn't fun when they had all their young grandkids up for a visit. We were all terrified of that dog. I think they tend to get excitable but I'm in no way an expert. You might have better luck in the dog section though!

4. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

It might help if you post this in the dog section. :)

Agree with daynna - if there's no trigger I would deffinatly take him to the vets to rule out anything medical, then seek a behaviourists advice.

5. rona

rona Guest

We had someone on here not so long ago whose normally placid dog had bitten, turned out, after a vet visit that the poor dog was in a lot of pain.
    always good to get a vet check first

6. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

not all of them, i've known two for years and they've never been aggressive, accidental excited nipping yes but as that was part and parcel of me sticking my hand in their mouths i wouldn't say it was them being evil and needing put down lol.

so def take to vets asap, as that's not normal behaviour for ANY breed.

7. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I didn't say they needed put down and my grandparents dog wasn't either! Just clearing that up :) The menace lived to be 17 :D

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

lol sorry probably the way i put it, i wasn't suggesting that's what you meant.

9. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

let us know what vet says :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice