UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Agitated cat when let outside - Any thoughts?

465 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TriTri 
#1 ·
Hello!
In early January we (my mum, sister and I) have adopted a gorgeous little 2 year old cat called Lola. She was a stray found outside and her age is an estimate by the cat shelter though I believe she's closer to 1 than 2. She is black and white with a Cleopatra eye and just the most affectionate cat I've ever met. She is extremely chatty, and makes all sorts of squeaks and trills when she sees you or wants something. She will always be in the room where the people are and loves being cuddled up as close to your face as possible.

We've never owned a pet bigger than a hamster before so everything we learn about Lola is brand new :)

We started letting her outside about 3 weeks ago - she's fine when she's out and is heavily food motivated so always comes back when called. We don't have a cat flap, so to let her out I've got to open the patio door in the conservatory.
The problem is, sometimes she'll go outside, but then when she sees me closing the door she'll sprint back inside - if I then close the door behind her she goes mad! Leaping around all the furniture, and growl/meowing, bristling all her tail up and arching her back. But if I then open the patio again she'll repeat! It's freezing outside at the moment (and freezing in the conservatory!) so I'm not leaving the door open.

I'm not sure what to do because she'll be scratching the furniture, running around and be loudly meowing to go outside, but then when I let her out the above described ensues (only on a cold or rainy day. When it's warm she just goes out no worries).

I work from home so it's usually just me in the house all day - I play with her at least 15-20 mintues a day too.
The only way I've dealt with this aggression is shutting her out of whatever room I'm in for ten mins or so, then she'll cool off and be all cuddles and head bumps again.

I've not been able to find any one else online talking about their cat being aggro about going out, so would be interested in what peoples thoughts are. Thanks in advance :)

Hand Eye Vertebrate Cat Felidae
Cat Felidae Carnivore Comfort Small to medium-sized cats
Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

See less See more
#2 ·
You say that she only gets agitated when she wants to go out but it's cold or rainy: I think that's the root of the problem. It's not a nice day, and she wants it to be a nice day, and what are you going to do about it? is more or less what's going through her mind.

Has she got plenty of toys to keep her occupied when she has to stop indoors? Ping pong balls and catnip mice are popular here, but many cats love the sort of toy that's a ball in an enclosed clear tube (for the life of me I can't remember what it's called, but someone will come along in a minute and tell you). A cat activity centre may burn her energy off, but never leave her unsupervised with any sort of toy that could be swallowed (feathers are particularly tempting).

Cat trees are popular as well.

You also say that you play with her for at least 15-20 minutes a day:this may not be enough for her.Can you build several play sessions into your day/

#3 ·
Hi @Ellie-Cat! Your Lola reminds me of my girl Scout :Happy She's beautiful! :Cat

My two are almost 11 months now, and I find that every single time they are doing something naughty/destructive, it is because they are bored and want to play! This has been my experience with young cats in general! She is, as @tyg'smum said, probably just getting frustrated because the weather is bad.

I have had great success with just cardboard boxes with sheets over for my two - cheap and cheerful! You can throw toys in there for her to chase, and she can hide and pounce. Mine also love the 'Catit Play Circuit' where they use their paws to chase a ball around a circuit, and they often play with this pretty independently too. I have a puzzle feeder for their dry food, which also entertains them.

Variety is important - so you may not want to have all her toys out at once, but have a set on the go, and then swap some out every now and again for a change. Also places to climb/sleep, plenty of scratchers, windowsill mats or similar so she can have a cozy spot and watch out of the window...

My two also seem to love the 'movies for cats' on YouTube! They are basically just close-ups of bird tables in the most part lol, but might be worth trying with your Lola when she can't go out due to bad weather! Mine love the one called 'Videos for Cats to Watch - 8 Hour Bird Bonanza'! :D

I know firsthand what it's like having a cat zooming round while you're trying to work from home lol - hope you manage to find a way to keep her entertained! :Cat

#4 ·
If you google for "Cat track toys", you'll see the sort of toy I was talking about. Not overly expensive - certainly cheaper than replacing the sofa! Which reminds me: a couple of scratching posts, if you haven't already got them, saves having to cover the upholstery with artfully-draped throws... and a kicker toy such as a Kong Kicker often goes down well (also useful if she gets a bit carried away with teeth and claws when you play with her).

#5 ·
Hello!
In early January we (my mum, sister and I) have adopted a gorgeous little 2 year old cat called Lola. She was a stray found outside and her age is an estimate by the cat shelter though I believe she's closer to 1 than 2. She is black and white with a Cleopatra eye and just the most affectionate cat I've ever met. She is extremely chatty, and makes all sorts of squeaks and trills when she sees you or wants something. She will always be in the room where the people are and loves being cuddled up as close to your face as possible.

We've never owned a pet bigger than a hamster before so everything we learn about Lola is brand new :)

We started letting her outside about 3 weeks ago - she's fine when she's out and is heavily food motivated so always comes back when called. We don't have a cat flap, so to let her out I've got to open the patio door in the conservatory.
The problem is, sometimes she'll go outside, but then when she sees me closing the door she'll sprint back inside - if I then close the door behind her she goes mad! Leaping around all the furniture, and growl/meowing, bristling all her tail up and arching her back. But if I then open the patio again she'll repeat! It's freezing outside at the moment (and freezing in the conservatory!) so I'm not leaving the door open.

I'm not sure what to do because she'll be scratching the furniture, running around and be loudly meowing to go outside, but then when I let her out the above described ensues (only on a cold or rainy day. When it's warm she just goes out no worries).

I work from home so it's usually just me in the house all day - I play with her at least 15-20 mintues a day too.
The only way I've dealt with this aggression is shutting her out of whatever room I'm in for ten mins or so, then she'll cool off and be all cuddles and head bumps again.

I've not been able to find any one else online talking about their cat being aggro about going out, so would be interested in what peoples thoughts are. Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 396580 View attachment 396581 View attachment 396582
Hi Ellie-Cat
Assuming you live on a safe, quite road for cats, I would highly recommend getting a catflap. They aren't expensive and can be fitted cheaply into doors, glass windows and even into brickwork. You can lock them so she can be locked in for example around bonfire night, or before vet appointments etc. If you are worried about other cats getting in, you can get microchip catflaps (or magnetic). Perhaps all 3 of you could chip in and buy one? Your dear Lola will then be able to get in at all times and without bothering you. Poor Lola could have been locked out of a previous home, found herself in some danger, wandered and then become a stray, which she is now worrying about happening again. She sounds as though she needs to know she has 24/7 access indoors, with some access outdoors too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.