Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Agility with my baby :D

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by GoldenShadow, Jul 16, 2009.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

OK, so Rupert doesn't seem to get enough stimulation from walks anymore, and my Mum's friend said he sounded just like a dog she knew, would have a couple decent sized walks each day, but still find something to get into or muck about with. She said that agility gave him that mental stimulation that was needed, and he loved it!

So Roo is a golden retriever, and a year old on Aug 12th. As goldens are at risk of hip dysplasia etc, until he's about 18 months I don't want to do any real jumping with him. Do you think its best I look at buying some equipment to put in the garden at home? I'd have to have him on his lead to use it for now as the part of the garden fenced off is mostly concrete.

I don't know of anywhere locally (I live in Lincolnshire) but I haven't looked in great depth either. Anyone any experiences with golden retrievers and agility too??

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

The club i train at has goldies training they love it and the ones i know cope ok,a good trainer will be able to talk you through any worries you have,and if you take up agility you and the trainer will spot if your dog is having probs with equipment
    Good luck if you do agility train ,myself and my dogs have great fun doing it and Rusty(not dog in avatar) has really benifitted from it ,he is such a high energy dog,
    Good luck

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't take a golden to agility before at least 18 months. My golden/poodle mix loves agility above anything else and they do pretty well in ABC competitions. Sophie's so happy to do anything we ask of her her only problem is shes a little too fast and doesn't have much control yet so she knocks jumps down but she'll learn.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm wary of the jumping hurdles, but do you think it'd be OK for the tunnel/slalem pole kind of things or not really still?

5. Don't be tempted to use weave poles! they can cause damage to te spine! they are as bad if not worse then the jumps! I brought my last st when this one was 9 months! A very good Agility eventer told me NOT to use them until she was as least 15 month - preferably 18 month old!

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The dog walk etc are fine to do now get her used to those thats what Sophie has the most trouble on if you can get her the confidence to do those then it will be a big help when you get into actual classes when she's older. The tunnel as well should be fine just as long as you don't push her too hard obviously.

7. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I agree with Nicky andt DoubleTrouble - until your dog is 18 months you should definitely not do anything that involves jumping or weaving or scrambling up and down the A frame. The tunnels are ok and so is the see-saw providing you control the see-saw so that it doesn't bang down. You could also set up the jumps with the pole flat on the floor so that he gets used to running around a course and running between the side poles. And it goes without saying that if you do the high dog walk, make sure that he doesn't fall!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice