Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Agility training

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Teddy-dog, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Last night mum came to agility training with us so managed to get some videos of what we got up to!

So pleased with his progress, not perfect but he’s getting there. We’ve been going to training since October and started off on basics so no equipment just working on focus and drive etc. It’s really helped Teds keep focus, I never imagined that he would be so good in a room full of other dogs all doing other things. His first day at school (when we first got him) he barked at the other dogs and we had to have barriers around us so he couldn’t see them. Even the first day at agility training I was apprehensive he would be reactive! But here we are! Sometimes he has a woof but he regains focus usually quite easily.

This is learning to drive tightly around wings. This is the first time we’ve done three wings.

Tunnel. Teds started off really well through the tunnel but we’ve had a bit of a set back (a couple of weeks ago they were wet not dry so it’s put him off going through them!). We shortened the tunnel for him and he did go through.

First time over fences with the back one higher slightly:

Recall over fences (driving to me):

Send away over fences (driving away from me). First time we’d done a send away and I was worried he might be a bit tentative but he loves the jumps so he didn’t mind!

Thanks for looking :)

kittih, Kim Watcham, Torin. and 7 others like this.
  2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Aw this is excellent - wish we had indoor agility near us. Outdoor was a disaster for Tills; she kept leaving the course and then leaving the field!! There is agility further away but i really do not like dark driving. Well done both of you!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  3. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Great to see. I miss taking Tilly is that Liz in the first video?

Teddy-dog likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes I had this problem with Fly (lurcher) who would do a bit then see/hear something and bugger off. We had one session indoors and it went really well but my instructor stopped doing it after that for various reasons.

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. AyeIt'sLiv

AyeIt'sLiv PetForums Junior

Wow! Excellent!

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Member

Oh I loved watching those, I would love to do something like that and I think Woody would probably really enjoy it, but there's nothing local to me that does it and also I don't think I would be able to keep up with him, my hips and knees are pretty bad some days and I think i would seriously struggle! Thank you for sharing.

Teds is a rescue, isn't he, it's a great feeling when you see how far they've come isn't it! I'm so proud of my boy Woody, also a rescue, who had some challenging issues when I got him, he is now, I guess my kinda self trained assistance dog he does so much for me and behaves so well in public places and situations.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  7. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Well done he looks great.

Teddy-dog likes this.
  8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Yeah I think in a field might have been different for us!! Luckily the indoor suits and it’s great for rainy days and evenings :)
    Shame there’s not anything closer to you!

Thank you :)

Thank you :) No reason why you could enquire at a local club. Our class is really accommodating and we have all sorts of dogs and owners attending!

Yes, Teds is a rescue. It’s amazing how they grow. He’s so much better with his reactive ness and confidence it’s great to see.
    Aw bless Woody sounds ace! Sounds like you’ve done really well with him :D

Thank you!

tabelmabel and Tillystar like this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Cosy Corner Collies

Great to see you all enjoying it. Agility is very addictive and as the dog progresses so will you. Better get a gym membership sorted to get ultra fit for the long courses.

The Collie in my pic is my oldest dog, was a rescue and was so badly abused when I got him he was "closing down". It took me the best part of a year to sort him out physically and mentally, agility helped lots and he really blossomed due to it. I retired him from that a couple of years ago and he is now a PAT dog.

10. Bugsys grandma

11. Bugsys grandma

Err not sure what happened there. Was trying to reply to you @Teddy-dog but my reply doesn't seem to have shown up? Now my I pad is buggering about! Bloody typical, I just start to get a little confidence with this technology stuff then stuff like this happens. Will get kids to check out what's going on.

12. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

Micheie loved her agility!
    I always trained outside - once she was doing sequences she was so happy and focussed she never ran off!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice