Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressively stealing food

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Helena91, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

Hi! Wondering if anyone can help, I am really out of ideas!

My 9 month old kitten, Willow, seems to have some strange complex around food. She seems to be a very happy, contented kitten. She is affectionate, gentle, loves to sleep on my knee, purrs a lot and seems totally normal.... until we try to eat. It's like she turns into a monster. Her eyes turn black, she looks kind of stressed then she becomes completely hell-bent on stealing our food. She gets aggressive and if she manages to grab something from our hand or plate she runs off with it, growling, and eats it in the corner. She wants EVERYTHING we eat, she will knock my cereal bowl out of my hand to get the milk. She sometimes does the same when we feed her, she keeps looking over her shoulder, and will pull the meat out of the bowl and drag it across the floor, growling.

She gets fed well, we have tried a few different foods but settled on James wellbeloved wet food. We close her in a room on her own (away from our other kitten) when we feed her, which has slightly helped with the growling and stressed out look.

She got into the kitchen bin recently and stole some pizza....I took her to the vet after that and they said she seems perfectly healthy and she's growing well, it's just her curiosity.

But is it normal? And why does she seem so stressed and aggressive about her food? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Helena91 :)

A kitten who is so desperate for food that she tries to grab your food and raids the bins, is, in my experience not a curious kitten, but a hungry kitten.

How many pouches of JWB a day are you feeding Willow, divided into how many meals a day? At her age I would feed her 4 meals a day (plus snacks between meals if she asks)

I have always allowed kittens to eat as much wet food as they want. If they ask me for food, I feed them. It has not been unusual for my kittens to eat 450 grams of good quality wet food a day at the age of 9 months. Kittens have a lot of growing to do and they need lots of meat protein to help build strong muscles.

James WellBeloved wet food is not a particularly great food. It is OK but there are better, more nourishing foods for growing kittens, e.g. Natures Menu, Country Hunter, Meowing Heads, HiLife Chicken, Cheshire Cat Garden. Or foods such as Blink from Tesco. It is best to feed a rotation of 3 or 4 different makes of food to ensure that all the cat's nutritional needs are met.

If you want better value for money than the quality foods sold in the UK pet stores, it would be worth looking at Zooplus UK online, where many of us buy our cat food. There is a pinned thread on the Health Boards giving details of the carbohydrate content of the good quality foods. Go for foods with carbs of less than 10%. Canned foods are cheaper than pouches.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

Kittens growling when they are eating is normal behaviour. It means 'keep your distance" and is instinctive behaviour related to a cat being a solitary hunter. But being aggressive with you, as I say, suggests she is a hungry kitty. I think if you let her eat as much wet food as she wants she would stop being so desperate for food.

Kittens do not usually become overweight, because they work off their energy in play, running about and climbing. :)

buffie likes this.
  3. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

Wow, I hadn't thought she could be hungry! She has about 2 or 3 pouches per day, and I feed her quite often about 5 times a day. I am worried about over feeding her in case it upsets her stomach though. I will try to gradually increase the amount I'm giving her, and order some other brands too. I use Zooplus actually, and order in bulk when they have offers on. Thanks for the advice.

chillminx likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @chillminx it definitely looks as though Willow is a hungry kitten ,2/3 pouches of food a day is not very much for a growing kitten.
    If she finishes the food you give her,give her some more until she actually walks away from her bowl and stick with the 5 times a day as kittens have quite small stomachs so need to be fed often .

chillminx and Helena91 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice