Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive Springer

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by bronsvilla, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bronsvilla

bronsvilla PetForums Newbie

I have a 3 year old Springer Spaniel over who over the last 3 months has started having sudden bursts of aggression for no apparent reason. He is an otherwise friendly dog and our other springer is not like this at all. Having a young child too though is a bit of a worry. I have owned lots of dogs over the years, many of them springers and have never encountered this problem before. Could it be something we are doing wrong or could it be an illness? I will be taking him to the vet this week but any advice or similar experiences from people would be welcome.

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I have had 3 springers 2 at the mo, springers are wonderfull dogs what sort of aggression is it and in what context is it happening

3. bronsvilla

He just seems to lash out and bite all of a sudden. With no warning. Afterwards he's back to his usual lovely self. Can happen anytime and in any situation. Sometimes he can even be asleep and just wakes up and starts trying to bite someone or something. some days he doesn't do it at all other days he can do it alot. I can't seem to pinpoint it to a particular situation.

4. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

does he press his head against the wall?

5. bronsvilla

No I've never seen him do that

6. *WillsTillsBills*

Hmmm I'm not sure, we rescued a bulldog who was like this to start, exactly like you said, out of nowhere would suddenly lunge, or just bite we couldn't see what it was. The vet asked his he had been pressing his head against a wall? because he thought it could have been something to do with the brain? however with bill we had his castrated and hes been the biggest softy ever since!

7. Nicci

Nicci Guest

#7 Nicci, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  8. bronsvilla

He's already been castrated. Problems didn't start until long after. Just hoping it's curable either by training or treatment. Don't want to lose him but can't trust him with the kids.

9. *WillsTillsBills*

Ahhh yes this is what the vet was talking about! Thankyou I was just looking through a book to try and find it!

10. bronsvilla

What is rage syndrome? He's actually just gone for my dad as I am sat here writing this. Third time today.

11. Nicci

Nicci Guest

12. *WillsTillsBills*

This is taken off Veterinary Medical Information for Dogs and Cats - Vetinfo.com

Q: i need information regarding the problem. my sister has a springer who is 10 yrs old and she has just started having behavior problems. the dog has just started to turn on her. and she is concerned as she has 4 children and the neighborhood children all come to her house. any and all info you could send would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort. Kathy

A: Kathy - Springer rage syndrome is difficult to pin down. It may just be that springers are particularly prone to dominance aggression and that the manifestation of this is "rage syndrome". It is also possible that there is a distinct behavioral problem of springers that is some sort of chemical imbalance or other brain disorder. There has even been some concern that this is a seizure disorder although at present I don't think any researchers believe this is the case, anymore.

Your sister needs the help of a good behaviorist. This sort of aggression is best treated by someone familiar with the syndrome who can help a family make the necessary choices to deal with it. Please have her ask her vet to help her find the closest certified or veterinary behaviorist. It is worth a trip to discuss this with an expert.

13. bronsvilla

Thanks for your help. I'll look into that

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh this is upsetting and very worrying for you, sorry i cant be of any help.

15. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'd disagree with most of that, until you've seen a dog with rage syndrome you would probably put it down to an aggression problem, our dog 'Rosa' was a rescue dog with no background, picked up as a stray. Her problems with us started pretty much from day one, she'd lash out for no reason while sleeping and you could see from her eyes there was something wrong with her after an episode afterwards as they appeared to 'glaze' over. Her behaviour would return to normal but it was terribly frightening, not just for us but for the dog too - she really had no idea what was going on and wasn't aware of what she was doing - in a lot of ways she was a fabulous dog just the episodes were very frightening for all concerned she was seen by the vet numerous times after many incidents/episodes given various drugs to help keep her calm until the vet one day said enough was enough for Rosa, she no longer had any quality of life and recommended that we have her put to sleep, they were fits more than anything, sort of like blackouts if I can call them that, Rosa certainly had no recollection of them and certainly as she got older the episodes got worse and more frequent, I'd been bitten many times by her and so had my husband, we never blamed her knew it wasn't our fault or Rosa's for a long time we lived with it were frequently backwards and forwards to the vets with her, sadly her little body couldn't take no more she no longer had a quality of life and sadly we had to make to decision to let her go.

16. bronsvilla

That sounds familiar. His eyes do seem to be glazed afterwards. Hoping it's not rage syndrome but if it is will the treatments ruin his quality of life?

17. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

If hes waking out of sleep and doing it?? could'nt it be a fit of some kind??

18. Nicci

Nicci Guest

There wasn't a problem with the medication that was given to her in the earlier stages, it just stopped having any effect on her.

As she approached older age, the fits, blackouts is what I will call them became more frequent resulting in some very nasty bites to myself and my husband most of the incidents used to happen whilst she was sleeping. Unfortunatly we did get to the stage where we felt these incidents were no longer fair on Rosa and they did effect the quality of life she had.

Mention everything to your vet see what they can advise, take everything from there they may refer you to a behaviourist without having to resort to any medication at all :)

19. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Nope, our dog had every test going under the sun, she didn't have epilepsy nothing wrong with her brain, didn't have thyroid problems, she was tested regarding all of the above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice